Doctor of Medical Science
- CRICOS Code: 066156A
- 4 years full time / 8 years part time
- Parkville campus located in the heart of Melbourne city
- Available to domestic and international students.
The Doctor of Medical Science (DMedSc) is a graduate research doctorate offered by the Melbourne Medical School only open to senior medical graduates of the University of Melbourne and other recognised universities. The DMedSc is designed for medical graduates to develop advanced skills in carrying out independent and sustained research at the doctoral research level.
Under the supervision of academic staff and an Advisory Panel appointed by the enrolling department, DMedSc students complete a thesis of approximately 50,000 - 80,000 words over a maximum period of up to four years full-time. The degree may be completed in less time if the student's academic progress as judged by the advisory panel, supports earlier submission.
Undertaking the DMedSc can broaden the medical graduate's career pathway, developing you as a researcher and enhancing leadership opportunities in your specialty practice area.
Research projects are available in the areas of:
- Cardio metabolic disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Child health
- Chronic disease
- General practice
- Integrated clinical medicine
- Medical education
- Mental health
- Primary care
- Rural health
- Women's health
- You may commence at any time during the year between 1 February and 31 October. Commencement in January or December is not advisable.
- Commencement in the degree is subject to prior arrangement with your nominated supervisor (Scholarships have separate rules and you should seek approval from Melbourne Scholarships to vary your scholarship commencement).
- Please check with the relevant academic unit prior to making any arrangements for enrolment or travel.