Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing (Intensive Care)
Critical care nurses provide essential care to seriously ill patients and their families. It’s a specialist role that requires collaboration within an interprofessional team, ensuring patients receive the highest quality care when facing potentially life-threatening conditions.
The Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing (Intensive Care) expands the scope of practice for Registered Nurses. It advances your knowledge, specialist skills and core competencies related to Intensive Care Nursing, which are required to care for patients in this high acuity environment.
Drawing on current evidence-based practice in the care and management of the critically ill, this course will equip you to assess and manage seriously unwell patients. You’ll have the opportunity to develop your analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills, as well as your critical care knowledge and capabilities. You’ll acquire the skills to analyse and critique delivery of specialist nursing care in the current healthcare context. Through this course, you’ll become proficient in using evidence-based nursing knowledge and skills to plan, implement and evaluate the provision of care in critical care environments.
Offered in a blended online and Work-Integrated Learning model, this flexibly delivered course will enable you to competently practice as a critical care registered nurse in accordance with the Australian College of Critical Care Nurses Practice Standards.
This course is not available to international students unless registered under APHRA and working in an Australian accredited health care facility.
The course also offers nested study options, which means you have alternative entry and exit pathways. You can choose to finish your specialist education early and graduate with a Specialist Certificate in Critical Care Nursing (Intensive Care). On successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing (Intensive Care), you may also be eligible to enrol in the Master of Advanced Nursing Practice.
This course has been devised to provide you with a sound understanding of the requirements of critical care nursing, with a focus on intensive care.
You will develop a greater understanding of the role of the nurse as an integral member of the Intensive Care team. You’ll become competent in effective communication to ensure safe practice and support for the interprofessional team, as well as patients and families.
Upon completion of the Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing (Intensive Care) you will be able to:
- Apply specialist knowledge and clinical competence in the critical care setting to facilitate patient centred care and ensure optimal clinical outcomes
- Draw on a sound theoretical base to inform your nursing practice in dynamic, complex and demanding critical care environments
- Comprehensively assess and care for patients with life-threatening health problems using informed and advanced clinical judgement and skills
- Utilise and evaluate qualitative and quantitative health research to determine best evidence for critical care nursing practice
- Justify and prioritise clinical decisions using evidence-based data to ensure professional integrity and ethical nursing practice.
By specialising in Intensive Care Nursing, you will:
- Participate in continuous learning to practice safe and effective critical care nursing thorough enhancing critical thinking, clinical skills and knowledge
- Develop leadership, mentoring and educational skills to contribute to high standard critical care practice and facilitate quality improvement in the healthcare setting.
What’s makes this course distinct is that while it is delivered online, it incorporates work-integrated clinical experience. This means you will learn theoretical content through online study and take part in a practical clinical speciality component at a partner hospital. Your employing hospital facilitates your specialist clinical practice and education in the clinical setting.
International students are welcome to study this course. However, please note that this course is not available to international students who require a student visa to study in Australia as it does not meet the onshore study requirements and it is not registered with CRICOS.