Graduate Certificate in Dental Therapy (Advanced Clinical Practice)
What will I study?
This course will prepare you to translate your existing scope to provide dental therapy restorative care for patients of all ages. You will develop the knowledge and skills to apply evidence-based, person-centred care in a high-quality learning environment. With the support of our academic and clinical dental staff, you will apply your learning with patients in our clinics and have the benefit of clinical case learning and interactive and collaborative team dentistry practice, and assessment of competence.
We support your continued learning through mentored clinical practice in your own clinic, which includes training for your mentor and a community of practice, enabling flexible and continued work-integrated learning in your own practice. All the benefits of the Melbourne Dental School’s rich research and learning environment, including our libraries and world-leading academics, are available to you as undertake clinical practice for adult dental therapy, including diagnosis and treatment planning for restorative care for people aged over 18 years.
All subjects are required to be attempted in the same semester.
Course structure and dates for 2022
The course comprises three subjects: 2 x 12.5 points and 1 x 25 points, totalling 50 points of study which must be taken concurrently.
The course dates for the 2022 Graduate Certificate in Dental Therapy are:
- Ten weeks of online learning (self-complete modules and weekly tutorials on Thursday evenings) beginning June 13 and running to August 29, 2022.
- All students will be required to attend 2 weeks (10 days) onsite for the Clinical Intensive component at the Melbourne Dental School.
This is scheduled from Monday 17th October until Friday 28th October 2022.
- 10 weeks of clinical experience in your own practice settings completing at least 80 hours of adult dental therapy practice, with the support of a credentialled Clinical Mentor* (dentist or dental therapist/oral health therapist with adult scope qualifications) commencing Monday 29 August and ending Friday 18 November 2022.
- Some online assessments to be completed during September 2022
- One week of swot vac to prepare for exams, commencing Monday 21 November and ending Friday 24 November 2022
- Three days of assessments (exams) between Monday 28 November and Friday 2 December 2022.
*Supervisor credentialling requires the mentor/supervisor to undertake an online training module and webinar to prepare for clinical mentoring and assessments. Students will be required to identify a Mentor with their application (more information under Entry Requirements)
While this is a one-semester, full-time course, this structure allows participation for clinicians who wish to maintain existing employment and study while managing family commitments. The integration of clinical and didactic elements is important to skill development for participants. Completion of this course will qualify practicing dental therapists and oral health therapists to expand service provision to patients of all ages within their scope of practice.
This course is delivered mostly online; ten weeks of online intensive coursework and two weeks of clinical training at the Melbourne Dental School. Further information regarding requirements for the clinical intensive component and clinical experience in your own practice will be available on the LMS (Learning Management System - online learning platform) once you enrol, and in the Week 1 Course Orientation webinar.
Each subject is formally assessed to meet the requirements of University accreditation, involving class presentations, clinical case-based assessments, oral exams and workbook assessments.
Explore this course
Explore the subjects you could choose as part of this certificate.