What will I study?
All subjects are required to be attempted in the same semester.
The course dates for the 2020 Graduate Certificate in Dental Therapy are:
- One week of online learning to be completed by Friday 24 July 2020
- Two weeks of onsite learning at Melbourne Dental School, commencing Monday 27 July and ending Friday 7 August 2020
- 14 weeks of clinical experience in own practice settings where at least 102 hours of adult dental therapy practice are to be completed, under supervision of credentialed dentist or dental therapist/oral health therapist with adult scope qualifications, commencing Monday 10 August and ending Friday 13 November 2020. Some online assessments to be completed during this period
- One week of swot vac, commencing Monday 16 November and ending Friday 20 November 2020
- Three days of assessments at Melbourne Dental School, commencing Monday 23 November and ending Wednesday 25 November 2020.
This structure allows participation for clinicians who wish to maintain existing employment. The integration of clinical and didactic elements is important to skill development for participants. Completion of this course will qualify practising dental therapists and oral health therapists to expand service provision to patients of all ages within the scope of dental therapy practice.
The course comprises three subjects: 2 x 12.5 points and 1 x 25 points, totalling 50 points of study.
This course is delivered via a combination of face-to-face and online delivery with intensive coursework and clinical training. Some coursework delivery will be presented online.
Each subject is formally assessed to meet the requirements of University accreditation, involving clinical case-based assessments, oral exams and workbook assessments.
This program, originally accredited by the Dental Board of Australia, is built on six years’ experience in delivering post graduate adult dental therapy programs.
Explore this course
Explore the subjects you could choose as part of this certificate.