Graduate Certificate in Dental Therapy (Advanced Clinical Practice)
What will I study?
All subjects are required to be attempted in the same semester.
The course dates for the 2021 Graduate Certificate in Dental Therapy are:
- Ten weeks of online learning beginning July 14 and running to August 27, 2021.
- All students will be required to attend 10 days of on site clinical component at the Melbourne Dental School. We anticipate this will be held in mid-October, 2021. Dates may be subject to change due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are aware that border/travel restrictions are a problem for students and this is interdependent to the changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 10 weeks of clinical experience in own practice settings where at least 102 hours of adult dental therapy practice are to be completed, with the support of a credentialled Clinical Mentor* (dentist or dental therapist/oral health therapist with adult scope qualifications, commencing Monday 6 September and ending Friday 19 November 2021. Some online assessments to be completed during this period
- One week of swot vac, commencing Monday 16 November and ending 20 November 2021
- Three days of assessments, commencing Monday 29 November and ending Friday 3 December 2021.
*Supervisor credentialling requires the mentor/supervisor to undertake an online training module and webinar to prepare for clinical mentoring and assessments. Students will be required to identify a Mentor with their application.
This structure allows participation for clinicians who wish to maintain existing employment. The integration of clinical and didactic elements is important to skill development for participants. Completion of this course will qualify practising dental therapists and oral health therapists to expand service provision to patients of all ages within the scope of dental therapy practice.
The course comprises three subjects: 2 x 12.5 points and 1 x 25 points, totalling 50 points of study.
This course is delivered via a combination of face-to-face and online delivery with intensive coursework and clinical training. Some coursework delivery will be presented online.
Each subject is formally assessed to meet the requirements of University accreditation, involving clinical case-based assessments, oral exams and workbook assessments.
This program, originally accredited by the Dental Board of Australia, is built on seven years’ experience in delivering post graduate adult dental therapy programs.
Explore this course
Explore the subjects you could choose as part of this certificate.