Graduate Certificate in Nursing Practice (Paediatrics)
Where will this take me?
Who this course is for
Admission is based on a Bachelor of Nursing degree (or equivalent training), at least one year of clinical experience in an acute care setting within the five years prior to applying for the course, and current employment and clinical support in a Paediatrics work environment.
Applicants must be registered nurses and have the support of their employing hospital for the Nursing Practice subject (Paediatrics Nursing Practice), and the employing hospital must be equipped to support the student to complete their studies.
International nurses with a working visa who meet the course entry requirements are also eligible to apply.
Intended learning outcomes
The Graduate Certificate in Nursing Practice (Paediatrics) provides students with a sound understanding of the scientific knowledge and research based evidence that underpins skill development specific to paediatric nursing.
Students develop the ability to apply theoretical knowledge to understand the practice of providing care to paediatric patients.
On completion students should have the clinical competencies to practice paediatric nursing at a beginning competency level as benchmarked against Australian specialty practice competencies.
This course will give you:
- Fundamental paediatric care skills: understand pathological basis of disease, explain assessment data and prioritise patient care based on scientific principles
- Theory of paediatric care: understand how to provide safe practice for paediatric patients, along with infant, adolescent and family care, and understand assessment along with common paediatric conditions
- Assess and manage patients: broaden your knowledge and theory for paediatric care, and learn how to assess and manage specific physical and psychological illnesses
- Understand science and research: learn the principles and evidence to develop problem-solving, critical thinking, rational inquiry and self-directed learning
- Integrate knowledge with practice: get supervised training and undertake an accurate assessment of paediatric patients by combining theory with technical skill
Students who complete the Graduate Certificate in Nursing Practice will meet the entry requirements for the Master of Advanced Nursing Practice.