Graduate Certificate in Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care
Where will this take me?
Whether you are advancing your current qualification or already working in the field, graduate study can improve your career progression and earning potential.
Intended learning outcomes
At the completion of the course, students should be able to demonstrate:
- Understanding of the pathophysiological principles that relate to ECC
- The ability to apply knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathology and therapy in order to successfully management of systems derangement including; cardiovascular, respiratory, abdominal gastrointestinal, renal, urinary tract, reproductive, metabolic, endocrine, haemo-lymphatic, neurologic, musculo-skeletal, ophthalmic, integumentary and nutritional
- The ability to rapidly and accurately assess the emergency patient in order to prioritise a patient’s problems based on principles of triage
- Understanding of global conditions such as SIRS, DIC, sepsis, trauma, hyperthermia, toxicities and anaphylaxis and demonstrate effective assessment and management of such conditions
- Knowledge of the principles of anaesthesia and analgesia as they apply to the emergent or critically ill patient
- Knowledge of surgical emergencies including techniques and complications
- Knowledge of pharmacology required for successful management of ECC conditions including the dose, indications, mechanism of action, contraindications and drug interactions
- Understanding of the use of fluid and transfusion therapy including uses, limitations, and risks
- Ability to interpret various tests and monitoring parameters used in ECC
- Ability to interpret ultrasound and radiographic images as they related to common emergency scenarios
- Knowledge of the current CPR guidelines and to be able to describe effective CPR
- Knowledge of techniques, monitoring and procedures commonly used in emergency and critical care.
Prepare for accreditation exam
The course will cover both the fundamental pathophysiological and clinical aspects of ECC. In this way, the course will provide the theory required for preparation of the ANZCVS ECC membership examinations.