Graduate Diploma in Data Science
- CRICOS Code: 095994M
Where will this take me?
When you successfully complete the Graduate Diploma with a weighted average mark of above 65%, you may be eligible to move into the Master of Data Science and receive up to 50 credit points of advanced standing.
This means that you can complete both Graduate Diploma in Data Science and the Master of Data Science in just 2.5 years of study.
IBM predicts that demand for US data scientists will grow 28% by 2020, and there’s a similar trend worldwide.
When you graduate from the course, you’ll have a strong foundation in:
- Statistical modelling and inference
- Algorithms, machine learning and data mining
- Database systems
- Using a range of methods to conduct analyses
- Reporting on analytical findings.
Data science graduates go on to work as:
- Data scientists and analysts
- Business intelligence analysts
- Software engineers
- Data infrastructure engineers
Employers in this field include:
- Consulting firms such as EY, KPMG and Accenture
- Financial services companies including ANZ, CBA and NAB
- IT corporates such as IBM, Microsoft and Telstra
- Academic and public research institutions such as universities and the CSIRO
Technical and professional skills
On graduating from the course you’ll have a broad education in the use of statistical and computational tools to make sense of big data. Additionally, you'll develop the following technical and professional skills:
- Problem-solving skills: the ability to engage with unfamiliar problems and identify relevant solution strategies
- Analytical skills: the ability to construct and express logical arguments and to work in abstract or general terms to increase the clarity and efficiency of analysis
- Time management skills: the ability to meet regular deadlines while balancing competing commitments
- Programming and computing skills: the ability to use statistical computing packages and implement algorithms.