Master of Philosophy - Science
- CRICOS Code: 061958G
Where will this take me?
An MPhil is a step towards a research career in many areas of science.
Many MPhil graduates go on to do a PhD, which then leads to work as a postdoctoral research scientist and then onto careers in research and teaching in academia, or they move into industry where the technical and professional skills that you get with an MPhil are being recognised more and more.
- International research institutions like CSIRO, the Defence Science and Technology Group, the Max Planck Institutes, the Chinese Academy of Sciences or NASA
- Government departments like the Bureau of Meteorology, the Bureau of Statistics or Melbourne Water
- Consulting firms such as Deloitte and KPMG
- Software and computing companies such as IBM, IRESS and Quantium
- Large financial services providers including ANZ and NAB.
Technical and professional skills
On graduating from the course you’ll have high-level knowledge and research skills in your chosen area of science.
Additionally, you’ll have strong professional skills in:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Research planning, literature reviews and reporting on research
- Scientific communication, both written and oral
- Project management.
At the end of the course, you’ll be well-placed to begin a PhD in your chosen field.