Master of Philosophy - Science
- CRICOS Code: 061958G
Where will this take me?
A Master of Philosophy (Science) is a step towards a research career in many areas of science.
Many MPhil graduates go on to undertake a PhD, which then leads to work as a postdoctoral research scientist and then on to careers in research and teaching in academia. Alternatively, they move into industry, where the technical and professional skills that come with an MPhil are highly valued.
- International research institutions such as CSIRO, the Defence Science and Technology Group, the Max Planck Institutes, the Chinese Academy of Sciences and NASA
- Government departments like the Bureau of Meteorology, the Bureau of Statistics and Melbourne Water
- Consulting firms such as Deloitte and KPMG
- Software and computing companies such as IBM, IRESS and Quantium
- Large financial services companies including ANZ and NAB.
Technical and professional skills
On completion of your MPhil, you’ll have high-level knowledge and research skills in your chosen area of science.
Additionally, you’ll have strong professional skills in:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Research planning, literature reviews and reporting on research
- Scientific communication, both written and oral
- Project management.
At the end of the course, you’ll be well-placed to undertake a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) in the same field, if you choose.