Master of Science (Mathematics and Statistics)
- CRICOS code: 094599G
Where will this take me?
Qualified mathematicians and statisticians are in high demand due to a national shortage. Consequently, graduates of higher level degrees in these areas often attract head-hunters and above-average salaries.
Our graduates go on to work as data scientists and analysts, macroeconomists, quant analysts and data engineers.
Employers in this field include:
- Consulting firms including PWC, KPMG and EY
- Financial services companies such as ANZ, NAB and IAG
- IT companies such as IBM and Telstra
- Medical research institutes such as the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute and the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute
- Universities and public research institutions such as the CSIRO.
Technical and professional skills
On graduating from the course you’ll have in-depth knowledge of your chosen specialty, plus strong professional skills in:
- Modelling and simulation
- Programming using R
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Communicating research findings
- Research planning and literature reviews.
At the end of the course, you’ll be well-placed to begin a PhD in mathematics and statistics, if you choose.