Master of Screen Producing
- CRICOS code: 110761K
Where will this take me?
Our graduates become artistic changemakers and cultural agents in the professional film, television, arts and streaming markets in Australia and overseas.
Take the next steps in your career as a screen producer with comprehensive specialist knowledge and a philosophy that’s uniquely yours – as well as a skill base that’s strong, diverse, and offers you the resilience to succeed as media markets continue to transform.
Upon completion of the program, you can elect to undertake further study in one of our graduate research degrees.
On completion of this course, graduates will be:
- Able to work with integrated knowledge of screen production processes, including script development, production management and compliance, distribution, and marketing
- Prepared to apply cognitive, technical, business and creative skills to solve screen production problems and challenges
- Confident in exhibiting creative and flexible leadership, collaborating with diverse stakeholders across a range of contexts
- Skilled at identifying and implementing creative business opportunities, as well as determining the commercial viability of ideas
- Proficient in communicating knowledge, skills, theories and ideas to specialist, non-specialist and culturally diverse audiences using evidence-based arguments
- Able to produce creative and written screen-based works of a high standard while exhibiting personal autonomy and accountability.
Meet graduate Mario Biancacci
Mario Biancacci’s path to being an international film producer wasn’t exactly pre-ordained. But he’s made his way from a Bachelor of Science to a Robbie Williams biopic with adaptability, resilience and an eye for the bigger picture – as well as a graduate degree in producing from the VCA.
"Every time I passed the VCA on St Kilda Road I dreamt of being part of an ambitious, progressive and world-class institute grounded in community and humanity.
"Collaborating with peers and seeing how other creatives operate, especially during my industry placement, taught me new ways of working and helped shape the kind of producer I want to be.
"Applying the skills I learned to VCA films, web series and industry placements was incredibly rewarding. In particular, understanding the concept of story and learning how to analyse scripts has allowed me to communicate with screenwriters on a more profound and professional level. Studying the practical elements of dramatic filmmaking also helped me hone my skills and understand the themes in film that interest me most.
"I feel incredibly fortunate to be working on large-scale international projects so soon after graduating – however, one of the most rewarding aspects of my role is being able to facilitate recent graduates and film students with job opportunities and internships. I appreciate the people who took a chance on me and helped pave the way to get me where I am today: being able to return this opportunity to emerging practitioners as they begin their own journey in this crazy world we work in."