Master of Theatre (Directing)
- CRICOS code: 085432F
Where will this take me?
Artistic collaborations with directors, choreographers, designers and other performance makers at the VCA, provide a unique opportunity to develop creative partnerships that can lead to future collaborations in your profession.
On completion of this course, graduates will have developed:
- Potential for artistic leadership and gain in-depth knowledge, practice and critical approache required to build the Australian performance culture of the future
- Specialist skills in directing for performance, such as processes of rehearsal, dramaturgy, devising, composition, performance-making
- Ability to work across disciplines and multiple contexts of performance practice
- Ability to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary projects
- Advanced dramaturgical awareness, providing the skills to understand one’s own and others’ work within its socio-cultural environment
- Advanced skills to build future collaborative networks nationally and internationally.
With the skills gained from your Masters, you can take on directing a variety of performance styles. Professional work could include directing for theatre, dance, music theatre, opera and other cross discipline productions.
Upon completion of the program, graduates can select to undertake further study in one of our research master degrees.
Meet Alice Darling, Master of Directing for Performance (2016).