Specialist Certificate in Biotechnology (Enterprise)
Sharpen your business skills and examine the commercial and technical realities of your sector – 100% online.
Whether via enhancing global food production or pursuing advances in cancer prophylactics, therapeutics or diagnostics, biotechnology professionals can deliver huge opportunities for the wellbeing of our global population. But to accelerate commercial success within the industry, scientific expertise must be matched with comprehensive business understanding.
The University of Melbourne’s Specialist Certificate in Biotechnology (Enterprise) will help you leverage your existing knowledge to sharpen your business skills and examine the intersection of the commercial and technical realities of your sector. You will learn from experts drawn from across the University and external organisations, who bring a wealth of real-world, international experience in disciplines as diverse as business, law, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, biomedical engineering and agriculture.
In two subjects of your choosing, you will explore relevant ethical, political and legal challenges, and understand some of the common stumbling blocks encountered when taking a product into market. By gaining a comprehensive understanding of key non-technical areas such as finance, return on investment, regulatory affairs, risk management and marketing, you will develop a clear competitive advantage in your sector.
Ideal for currently working professionals, this program is designed to be undertaken part time and is delivered 100% online – allowing you to study from anywhere in the world.
Where will this take me?
You will develop a clear competitive advantage as a biotechnology industry professional by gaining a comprehensive understanding of key non-technical areas, such as strategies to create value and delivering product value propositions to customers through
- Smart regulatory affairs
- Focussed quality management
- Strategic design of clinical and field trials.
This course takes a global view of the industry and includes detailed information from the key markets of the USA and EU as well as the Australian context. You will enhance your ability to demonstrate autonomy, well-developed judgement and adaptability.
- Learn at Australia’s #1 university for life sciences and medicine, and #21 in the world for life sciences and medicine
- Take advantage of Melbourne’s rich biomedical precinct – home to over 40 percent of Australia’s biomedical researchers and Number 1 in Australia for medical research and biotechnology
- Learn from biomedical and industry experts with a wealth of real-world, international experience including Dr Jacqui Waterkyn, Head of Regulatory Affairs and Clinical Operations at Ascend Biopharmaceuticals, Dr Tam Nyguen, Associate Director Research St Vincent’s Hospital, and Elpis Baron, CEO of Barons Medical Consulting
- Work and study at the same time with flexible, 100% online delivery
- Work on real-life case studies and learn how to apply your knowledge to cutting edge examples, including Stentrode, a brain computer interface
- Gain the highest levels of support and extend your professional network.
Who is this course for?
This program is ideal for professionals working within the life sciences, pharmaceutical, biomedical and biomedical engineering, and agricultural and food biotechnology sectors. You may already be working in biotechnology enterprises and looking to assume wider management or leadership responsibilities, or you may be working in the life sciences sectors and seeking to broaden your understanding and move into a biotechnology-related role.
International students are welcome to study this course. However, please note that this course is not available to international students who require a student visa to study in Australia as it does not meet the onshore study requirements and it is not registered with CRICOS.