Specialist Certificate in Blood Management Foundations
Where will this take me?
Who this course is for
This course is suited to healthcare professionals including nurses, midwives, and scientists currently working in or associated with the field of transfusion or working towards this. Staff responsible for managing organisational compliance with Standard 7 and associated activities, or working towards this should also apply.
Intended learning outcomes
At the completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Comprehend the basic haematology processes, pathophysiology, investigation and treatment of diseases that affect Blood and Blood product selection
- Be aware of the process of transfusion from donation to administration
- Understand the relevant quality systems and principles relating to Blood and Blood Products
- Be aware of quality transfusion policies and clinical risk management issues
- Understand practical aspects of transfusion improvement such as audit and data analysis.
Pathways to Further Study
Students that complete the Specialist Certificate in Blood Management Foundations may be eligible to gain 25 points credit if they decide to enrol in one of the following courses:
Students that decide to enrol in one of the following Specialty Graduate Certificates will only receive 12.5 points credit, equivalent to an elective subject.
Available specialties include:
- Critical care
- Rural critical care
- Paediatric critical care
- Cancer and palliative care
- Mental health; paediatrics
- Primary care.