Specialist Certificate in Gerontology
What will I study?
Please note: The elective subject POPH90266 Leadership for an Ageing Workforce has been discontinued in 2021.
In this course you will:
- Learn how national and global politics, economics, ethics and social equity influence the way society plans for and meets infrastructure and service delivery requirements of ageing populations in Australia and around the world
- Hear expert perspectives on the trends, issues and challenges faced by communities, organisations, businesses and governments
- Investigate how an ageing population drives workforce and retirement trends, and how recent technological advances can revolutionise the ageing experience
- Develop the capacity to identify market needs, negotiate with government and shape policy
- Identify and analyse the multiple determinants of healthy ageing and develop integrative approaches to managing them.
Upon completion of the Specialist Certificate in Gerontology, you will have foundational knowledge and skills needed to:
- Describe and appraise systems, structures and policies in Australia and other countries that address ageing
- Describe and critically access strategies aimed to promote healthy and productive ageing across the lifespan (ie legislation, policy and community development)
- Identify and discuss current and key challenges in ageing from a global perspective
- Apply comprehensive knowledge of the ageing experience from conceptual and practical dimensions of the course to develop solutions to complex ageing issues.
To gain the Specialist Certificate in Gerontology you must complete 25 points comprising of two elective subjects.
You will have the opportunity to select interest areas from a range of subjects focused on ageing and its implications, in diverse settings and contexts. This includes health care, workforce, housing, economic and social policy and technological advances supporting healthy ageing and aged care.
On average, it is estimated that you will spend 15-19 hours per week for study time for each subject. However, the time commitment required can vary based on individual task management and planning skills, familiarity with the material, reading style and speed.
Sample course plan
View some sample course plans to help you select subjects that will meet the requirements for this certificate.
25 Point Program
Explore this course
Explore the subjects you could choose as part of this certificate.