Specialist Certificate in Hearing Science
- 6 months part time
- Available to domestic and international students.
The Specialist Certificate in Hearing Science is designed to broaden the knowledge and skills in hearing and audiological sciences for professionals in the wider health education disciplines.
Graduates will be able to make a difference in the lives of individuals with audiological impairment. Students will be introduced to acoustics, speech perception, anatomy, physiology and auditory development and function across the lifespan.
Measurement and rehabilitation tools are explored with the intention of understanding the degree of functional impairment in the context of the individual’s environment. Leading to development and implementation of patient-centred management plans.
The Specialist Certificate in Hearing Science is a 25 point online coursework program consisting of one 25 point subject; Audiological Science (25 points)
This subject provides an integrated program of learning focusing on the theoretical knowledge to inform the beginning level of understanding of audiological science.
On successful completion of the Specialist Certificate in Hearing Science the student should be able to:
- Identify and consider the role of the audiologist and other multidisciplinary team members in the management of individuals with hearing impairment
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the scientific knowledge and research-based evidence that underpins skills development specific to audiological practice
- Apply theoretical knowledge to understand the practice of providing care to individuals experiencing auditory impairment and well-being that require audiological interventions
- Apply assessment findings and knowledge of the individual and their environment to propose and justify appropriate interventions which address the impairments and activity limitations in individuals with hearing impairment
- Develop, apply and transmit appropriate communication strategies to and for the hearing-impaired individual
- Interpret and evaluate the use of measurement and rehabilitation tools in the practice of audiology
- Critically evaluate the known barriers and facilitators that contribute to an individual’s intervention success
Links to further information
The Specialist Certificate in Hearing Science consists of one 25 point subject entitled ‘Foundations in Hearing and Audiological Science. The course is delivered online over a 12 week period commencing January. It is an integrated program of learning focusing on the theoretical knowledge to equip the participant with the beginning level of understanding of audiological science.