Specialist Certificate in Palliative Care
Where will this take me?
Over the ten years since the course was introduced, over 190 students have successfully graduated and put their knowledge into practice providing care for patients in various fields. Graduates have included nurses, social workers, family support workers, occupational therapists, speech therapists, art therapists, physiotherapists and hospital chaplains.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, you will:
- Recognise the role of the multidisciplinary team and how the palliative approach to care is effective in improving patient outcomes
- Understand the concept of holistic care as applied to a person with a life limiting illness
- Be able to apply the principles of palliative care practice to a range of settings
- Understand the core principles of palliative care practice as they apply to the care of someone with a life-limiting illness
- Be able to identify and assess symptoms commonly experienced by patients during the terminal phase of an illness
- Understand the key principles involved in undertaking a psychosocial assessment
- Explore the psychosocial impact of a life-limiting illness on the patient and their family.