Specialist Certificate in Palliative Care
Where will this take me?
Intended learning outcomes
The course aims to be the industry standard for working in specialist palliative care and will be delivered by experts in their fields, drawn from multiple institutions around Victoria, as appropriate. The course will explore the core concepts related to palliative care, including symptom management, communication skills, evidence based practice, non-malignant palliative illnesses, psychosocial issues and the role of the family caregiver.
The Melbourne Experience enables our graduates to become:
- Have a strong sense of intellectual integrity and the ethics of scholarship
- Have in-depth knowledge of their specialist discipline(s)
- Reach a high level of achievement in writing, generic research activities, problem-solving and communication
- Be critical and creative thinkers, with an aptitude for continued self-directed learning
- Be adept at learning in a range of ways, including through information and communication technologies.
Knowledgeable across disciplines:
- Examine critically, synthesise and evaluate knowledge across a broad range of disciplines
- Expand their analytical and cognitive skills through learning experiences in diverse subjects
- Have the capacity to participate fully in collaborative learning and to confront unfamiliar problems
- Have a set of flexible and transferable skills for different types of employment.
Leaders in communities:
- Initiate and implement constructive change in their communities, including professions and workplaces
- Have excellent interpersonal and decision-making skills, including an awareness of personal strengths and limitations
- Mentor future generations of learners
- Engage in meaningful public discourse, with a profound awareness of community needs.
Attuned to cultural diversity:
- Value different cultures
- Be well-informed citizens able to contribute to their communities wherever they choose to live and work
- Have an understanding of the social and cultural diversity in our community
- Respect indigenous knowledge, cultures and values.
Active global citizens:
- Accept social and civic responsibilities
- Be advocates for improving the sustainability of the environment
- Have a broad global understanding, with a high regard for human rights, equity and ethics.