What will I study?
Your course structure
The Bachelor of Arts requires the successful completion of 24 subjects (300-points), including at least one major. Most students study eight subjects each year (usually four subjects in each semester) for three years full-time, or the part-time equivalent.
Most Arts majors require 100 points of study (usually eight subjects) for attainment. This means out of your 300-point program, you have the opportunity to achieve two majors in your course.
Completing your major
If you are taking Creative Writing as a major, you must complete:
- One level 1 (usually first year) compulsory subject
- Arts Discovery
- One level 2 compulsory subject (usually second year)
- 37.5 points (usually three subjects) of level 2 elective subjects
- 25 points (usually two subjects) of Level 3 elective subjects
- One level 3 Capstone subject (usually at third year)
If you are taking Creative Writing as a minor, you must complete:
- One level 1 compulsory subject (usually first year)
- Arts Discovery
- 25 points (usually two subjects) of level 2 elective subjects
- 25 points (usually two subjects) of level 3 elective subjects
Breadth is a unique feature of the Melbourne curriculum. It gives you the chance to explore subjects outside of arts, developing new perspectives and learning to collaborate with others who have different strengths and interests — just as you will in your future career.
Some of our students use breadth to explore creative interests or topics they have always been curious about. Others used breadth to improve their career prospects by complementing their major with a language, communication skills or business expertise.
Explore this major
Explore the subjects you could choose as part of this major.