Where will this take me?
In this major you will develop the ability to acquire, analyse and apply information from multiple sources, both within and beyond the laboratory, preparing you for a wide range of jobs across multiple industries.
This major will open up career opportunities in areas such as diagnostics, vaccine development, molecular biology, biotechnology and biosafety and regulation.
Earnings for life scientists, which includes immunologists, are above average and employment for this occupation is expected to grow moderately to 2019.
Graduate degree pathways from this major
Completing the immunology major means you are very well placed for further study in honours and graduate research in a range of medical, science and technology areas. If you wish to explore biomedicine research questions in greater depth, there will be opportunities to proceed to graduate research at honours, masters and doctoral level. Research training preparation within the honours year, a postgraduate diploma or a masters degree will be required as preparation for graduate research. Graduate pathways advice is available at the Health Hub to help you understand and plan you options for further study.
You may choose to undertake research in related areas such as:
- Infectious diseases
- Genetics and pathogenesis of the immune system
- Biochemical and cellular aspects of immune recognition
- The various outcomes of the immune system in a setting of infection, autoimmunity, cancer, transplantation and allergies
GRADUATE DEGREE PATHWAYS
If you wish to continue professional studies at graduate level, this major leads to a range of graduate degree pathways:
- This major leads to graduate programs in Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences that will prepare you for a wide range of professions including medicine
- Science and technology-focused graduate study in degrees including biotechnology, environmental systems, informatics and nanotechnology
- Further graduate study to develop your skills outside of science and technology in areas such as law, teaching, humanities, business, government.