Infection and Immunity
Where will this take me?
After completing this major, you’ll be well placed to move into the workforce, further study, or graduate research.
A major in Infection and Immunity could lead you to a career in infectious disease, diagnostics, molecular biology, biotechnology, vaccinology, antimicrobial chemotherapeutics, biosafety or regulation.
With further study, you could find yourself in a research career investigating infectious agents, their genes, underlying mechanisms of infectious disease.
Employers in this field include:
- Medical research institutes such as WEHI, the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute and the Peter Doherty Institute
- Hospitals such as the Royal Melbourne Hospital and the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Government departments of health, innovation, agriculture and environment
- Biotech and pharmaceutical companies such as CSL and GSK
- Universities and public research institutions.
You can complete an honours year in Microbiology and Immunology as part of your bachelors degree or you can immediately move into graduate studies.
If you wish to continue your studies at graduate level, this major is a great lead-in to many specialist science and health degrees. Graduate degrees you could consider include:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery
- Doctor of Medicine
- Doctor of Optometry
- Doctor of Physiotherapy
- Master of Biomedical Science
- Master of Biotechnology
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Science (BioSciences)
- Master of Science (Epidemiology).
Depending on the subjects you take in your undergraduate degree, a range of other graduate degrees may be possible – in fields as diverse as medicine, science and technology, health sciences, teaching, law, business, humanities and more.
If you complete an honours year or a masters course with a significant research component, you can go on to study a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy), or another graduate research program.
This will set you up for a rewarding career in research with a university, research institute, hospital or biotechnology company.