Where will this take me?
Mechanical engineering graduates are noted for their broad problem-solving abilities, and are employed in leadership positions throughout the world. You can find employment in many industries, with work varying by industry and function. Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering disciplines, allowing you a huge choice of career paths. You could work in any of the following roles:
- Automation technologist
- Heating designer
- Mechanical engineer technician
- Power equipment design technician
- Robotics servicing technician
- Robotics systems installer
- Thermal station technician
- Wind tunnel technician
Graduate degree pathways from this major
Completing the Mechanical Systems major means you are very well placed for further study in honours and graduate research in a range of science and technology areas. Research training preparation within the honours year, a postgraduate diploma or a masters degree will be required as preparation for graduate research.
GRADUATE DEGREE PATHWAYS
Bachelor of Science graduates who major in Mechanical Systems will be eligible to continue on to the Master of Engineering (Mechanical), Master of Engineering (Mechanical with Business) or the Master of Engineering (Mechatronics) degrees in the world-class Melbourne School of Engineering.
This major also leads to a range of other graduate degree pathways:
- Science and technology-focused graduate study in degrees including biotechnology, environmental systems, informatics and nanotechnology
- Graduate degree pathways that will prepare you for a wide range of professions including engineering, law, teaching, medicine and other health sciences
- Further graduate study to develop your skills outside of science and technology in areas such as humanities, business, government.