Diploma in General Studies (Extended)
- VTAC code: 3800310701
- International VTAC code: NA
The new Diploma in General Studies (Extended) (DiGS Extended) is designed to provide a pathway into University of Melbourne degrees for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as both school leavers and mature-age students, particularly in the Northeast Victoria and Goulburn Valley regions.
The course is designed to help you build the academic skills to succeed and flourish in bachelors degrees in Agriculture, Science, Arts, Commerce , or Design. It aims to unlock your potential and prepare you for your dream career, including if your previous studies do not meet the requirements for these degrees.
You can explore the relationship between land and culture, the science that allows plants and animals to grow and flourish, the management of environments and businesses and communication to succeed in work and study.
You will learn in a supportive learning environment in the close-knit and supportive community of the University of Melbourne’s Dookie campus, on Yorta Yorta country, around 30 minutes from Shepparton, Victoria. The diploma allows you to:
- Combine academic skills with Indigenous perspectives, histories and culture through the context of science
- Get guaranteed entry into a University of Melbourne bachelors degree
- Earn credit towards the Bachelor of Agriculture
- Explore your study options before committing to a bachelors degree
- Study prerequisite subjects you may have missed in high school, including science, mathematics, business and environments
- Access a range of scholarships to help you fund your living expenses
- Explore your independence and life away from home in a close community experience
If you are interested in a similar program, you may wish to explore the Diploma in General Studies.
COMBINE INDIGENOUS AND SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE
DiGS Extended is a 12-subject, 18-month qualification (full time), with five compulsory core subjects and a wide range of electives to help you explore your interests.
In your first semester, you will complete subjects that draw on perspectives from scientific, social sciences and Indigenous communities. You’ll receive lectures from a range of scholars, community and industry leaders.
These subjects will help you see how we can apply scientific theories and concepts to approach real life problems with practical situations.
A PATHWAY TO MELBOURNE DEGREES
DiGS Extended gives you the opportunity to explore a range of fields and develop your general education, and can be used as your pathway to one of the following University of Melbourne bachelors degrees:
In 2022, the University of Melbourne will be offering 19 one-year Destination Australia scholarships, each worth $15,000, to attract and support domestic students to study in regional Australia.