Diploma in General Studies (Extended)
- VTAC code: 3800310701
What will I study?
PREPARE YOURSELF FOR ACADEMIC SUCCESS
In your first semester in the Diploma in General Studies (Extended), you will complete four subjects that will prepare you to succeed at university:
- Land, Food and Culture
- Exploring Science and Environment
- Foundation Communication Skills
- Exploring Numbers and Reasoning.
These subjects have been designed in consultation with community members and other experts to incorporate Indigenous perspectives and apply scientific theories and concepts to a range of real-life situations.
You will build on these skills in your only other compulsory subject, Academic Writing and Communication, an apply them throughout the rest of your DiGS Extended studies, giving you the skills and confidence for you for academic success.
EXPAND YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND WORK-READINESS
After the first semester, DiGS Extended students will complete the same subjects as in the Diploma in General Studies. You’ll choose from a range of subjects in science, business, agriculture and the environments so you can find the right path for your future.
You can explore how businesses make decisions, what makes animals and plants grow and thrive, how a good manager works, ways we can make our lives more sustainable, and more through the following subjects:
- Agricultural Genetics
- Animal Systems
- Climate Change and Impacts
- Foundation Studies in Chemistry
- Fundamentals of Mathematics
- Introduction to Accounting
- Introductory Economics
- Land Resources and Management
- Landscape Information Systems
- Organisation and Management
- Plant Systems
- Systems Biology.
* You are able to enrol in single subjects
* Subject availability varies according to semester.
MEET UNIVERSITY PREREQUISITES YOU MISSED IN SCHOOL
Mathematics, biology and chemistry aren’t just interesting areas to explore – they can be key to understanding a range of fields. If you didn’t study these subjects in school, DiGS Extended can help you meet prerequisites via the following subjects:
- Fundamentals of Mathematics (meets VCE Further Mathematics prerequisite for University of Melbourne degrees)
- Systems Biology (meets VCE Biology prerequisite)
- Foundation Studies in Chemistry (meets VCE Chemistry prerequisite).
You’ll complete four subjects per semester as a full-time student, or two per semester if you’re studying part-time. Each subject is worth 12.5 credit points and the course is a total of 150 credit points.
- Full-time students will complete 12 subjects in total over 18 months, made up of four subjects per semester for three semesters
- Part-time students will complete 12 subjects in total over three years, made of up two subjects per semester for six semesters.
Sample course plan
View some sample course plans to help you select subjects that will meet the requirements for this diploma.
150 point program
Explore this course
Explore the subjects you could choose as part of this diploma.