What will I study?
Foundational learning for university
- Take on the compulsory subject Academic Writing and Communication in your first semester.
- Gain a broad tertiary study experience in the areas of: agriculture, biomedicine, commerce, science, and design.
- Get support in your transition to university or employment and build your intellectual confidence.
- Guaranteed entry into a University of Melbourne degree (depending on your eligibility for Access Melbourne and your academic performance).
Skills you'll gain
The Diploma in General Studies aims to provide you with:
- The capacity for independent critical thought and inquiry
- The ability to become a critical and creative thinker, with an aptitude for continued self-directed learning
- A strong sense of intellectual integrity and the ethics of scholarship
- The skills to achieve at university.
Explore the course
This course requires the successful completion of eight subjects worth 100 credit points – with subjects worth 12.5 points each. You will be required to complete one core subject, while you will select seven elective subjects (there are ten electives to choose from).
If you are a full-time student, you will undertake four subjects per semester for two semesters, eight subjects in total in one year.
If you are a part-time student, you will undertake two subjects per semester for four semesters, eight subjects in total in two years.
Core – undertaken in your first semester of study
Electives available in Semester 1
- Climate Change and Impacts
- Foundation Studies in Chemistry
- Land Resources and Management
- Organisation and Management
- Systems Biology
Electives available in Semester 2
- Animal Systems
- Fundamentals of Mathematics
- Introductory Economics
- Introduction to Accounting
- Landscape Information Systems
- Plant Systems
- You are also able to enrol in single subjects
- You must complete the subject, Academic Writing and Communication in your first semester of study
- Subject availability varies according to semester.