Melbourne Chancellor's Scholarship

Your fees explained

Want more information about fees and payments?

Domestic students who are awarded a Melbourne Chancellor's Scholarship will receive HECS Student Contribution exemption for the full duration of a Commonwealth Supported Place in an undergraduate degree and a concurrent diploma.

International students who are awarded a Melbourne Chancellor's Scholarship will receive 50% tuition fee remission for the standard full-time duration of an undergraduate degree course.


For indicative total course fees, check the listings for your chosen undergraduate degree:

Bachelor of Agriculture
Bachelor of Arts

Bachelor of Biomedicine
Bachelor of Commerce
Bachelor of Design
Bachelor of Fine Arts (Acting)

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Animation)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (Dance)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (Film and Television)

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Music Theatre)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (Design and Production)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (Screenwriting)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (Theatre)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Art)
Bachelor of Oral Health
Bachelor of Music
- Specialising in Interactive Composition
- Specialising in Jazz and Improvisation
- Specialising in Music Performance or Composition or Musicology/Ethnomusicology
Bachelor of Science

What fees will I pay?

As a domestic undergraduate student, you will enrol in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), which is subsidised by the Australian Government. You’ll still need to pay a student contribution amount. This fee is organised in bands based on the discipline area of the subjects that you take, not the course you are studying. The discipline fees are set each year by the Australian Government.

You can pay your student contribution amount to the University when you enrol (upfront), or you can defer this cost through the Australian Government’s Higher Education Loan Program (HECS-HELP) if you’re eligible.


HECS-HELP is the Australian Government’s Higher Education Loan Program. It enables you to borrow the amount of your student contribution and then pay that loan back once you are in the workforce and earning at a specified level. A HECS-HELP loan is not means tested.

HECS-HELP is available to eligible Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders who are enrolled in a CSP.

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

Student Service and Amenities Fee (SSAF) funds are used to provide a wide range of services and amenities for students, and to support student-focused initiatives.

Generally, all students who are enrolled in 12.5 points (usually 1 subject or 0.125 EFTSL) study load or greater across the calendar year pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

SA-HELP, a government funded loan scheme, is available to help eligible students pay all or part of their SSAF.

The Government’s Study Assist website provides more information about Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and SA-HELP.

Other financial assistance

The University's Student Financial Aid Service can provide you with advice and information on student loans and bursaries/grants, cost of living, budgeting and tax advice.


Find a scholarship that's right for you

Melbourne has one of the most generous scholarship programs in Australia. Scholarships, prizes, bursaries and grants can propel you to new heights and help you explore new opportunities. With over 1200 scholarships and prizes available for new and current students, it’s more than likely there is one that you’re eligible for either when you start your course or during your studies.