Graduate degree pathway

How to become a lawyer

Standard entry

1. Undergraduate degree

Applicants to the Melbourne JD (Juris Doctor) must first complete an undergraduate degree in any discipline other than law. Studying an undergraduate degree followed by the JD means you'll graduate with a higher-level qualification than a traditional double degree.

2. Graduate degree

Students who are in the final year of their undergraduate degree are welcome to apply to commence the JD in the following year. Selection will be will be based on all tertiary results available at point of application.

Graduate Degree Packages

The University also offers guaranteed entry to high–achieving domestic and international students who have completed an Australian Year 12 or the IB in Australia based on your ATAR.   More information on Graduate Degree Packages.

Graduate Degree PackageATAR CSP VTAC Course Code International Fee Paying VTAC Course Code Other selection criteria
Bachelor of Agriculture/Juris Doctor 99.80+ 3800410331 3800410333 N/A
Bachelor of Arts/Juris Doctor 99.80+ 3800510321 3800510323 N/A
Bachelor of Biomedicine/Juris Doctor 99.80+ 3800510211 3800510213 N/A
Bachelor of Commerce/Juris Doctor 99.80+ 3800510221 3800510223 N/A
Bachelor of Design/Juris Doctor 99.80+ 3800510231 3800510233 N/A
Bachelor of Science/Juris Doctor 99.80+ 3800510241 3800510243 N/A

Melbourne Chancellor's Scholars

Melbourne Chancellor's Scholars are guaranteed a place into the graduate degree of their choice following successful completion of their undergraduate degree.


The University offers a range of scholarships at both undergraduate and graduate level.

Find a scholarship that's right for you