Graduate degree pathway
How to become a lawyer
Where will this take me?
- The Victorian Council of Legal Education (Victorian Legal Admissions Board)
The Melbourne JD leads to admission to the legal profession in all Australian jurisdictions, and can be used as a basis for seeking admission in many overseas jurisdictions.
The Melbourne JD qualification is well-regarded by a broad range of employers. Our most recent survey reveals outstanding employment outcomes for our JD graduates, with an employment rate of 98 per cent for the class of 2017. Melbourne Law School graduates include:
- Judges, Judges’ Associates and others in the judicial sector
- Barristers and public prosecutors
- Lawyers in law firms
- In-house and corporate lawyers
- Lawyers in the community sector (ie community legal centres)
- Lawyers in not-for-profit organisations (ie human rights NGOs)
- Government lawyers
- Policy analysts and advisers in government
- Management consultants
- Merchant bankers