Graduate degree pathway

How to become a secondary school teacher

    Standard entry

    1. Undergraduate degree

    First you must meet the requirements for your undergraduate degree. To qualify as a secondary school teacher you must satisfy the requirements for two learning areas in while completing your undergraduate degree.

    2. Graduate degree

    Successful completion of the Master of Teaching enables you to apply for provisional registration as an early childhood, primary school or secondary school teacher with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT).

    Graduate Degree Packages

    The University also offers guaranteed entry to high–achieving domestic and international students who have completed an Australian Year 12 or the IB in Australia based on your ATAR.   More information on Graduate Degree Packages.

    Applicants for the Graduate Degree Package can complete the Teacher Capability Assessment Tool (TCAT) either during Year 12 or during their undergraduate degree.

    Graduate Degree PackageATARCSP VTAC Course CodeInternational Fee Paying VTAC Course CodeOther selection criteria
    Bachelor of Arts/Master of Teaching (Secondary)95.00+38005103513800510353TCAT
    Bachelor of Design/Master of Teaching (Secondary)95.00+38005103613800510363TCAT
    Bachelor of Science/Master of Teaching (Secondary)95.00+38005104213800510423TCAT

    Melbourne Chancellor's Scholars

    Melbourne Chancellor's Scholars are guaranteed a place into the graduate degree of their choice following successful completion of their undergraduate degree.


    The University offers a range of scholarships at both undergraduate and graduate level.

    Find a scholarship that's right for you

    Other guarantees available

    DegreeGuaranteed Entry Requirements
    Master of Teaching (Early Childhood, Early Childhood and Primary, Primary and Secondary)Applicants who complete an undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne and achieve a weighted average mark of 65% or higher are guaranteed a Commonwealth Supported Place (for domestic students) or international fee place.
    Applicants must complete the Teacher Capability Assessment Tool (TCAT).