Focused Cardiac Ultrasound - Peri-Arrest
The Focused Cardiac Ultrasound Peri-Arrest (FCU Peri-Arrest) Course offers the knowledge base and practical skills required for the systematic diagnosis of conditions that cause peri-arrest and cardiac arrest, including ultrasound of the heart, lung and abdomen.
This course includes hands-on training of image acquisition as well as diagnosis of interesting cardiac pathology using high fidelity Vimedix simulators, enabling the development of basic proficiency before clinical use.
It is recommended that the FCU TTE course is completed prior to the Peri-arrest course to have adequate skills in basic transthoracic echocardiography. However, this is not a compulsory prerequisite.
The aim of this course is to use clinical ultrasound to aid clinical decision making in the peri-arrest or arrest situation. Rapid assessment of heart, lungs and abdomen is performed to rule out the important causes of peri-arrest.
- Understand the roles and limitations of ultrasound in cardiac arrest (during the ACLS algorithm) and Peri-Arrest
- Perform focused ultrasound of the heart, lungs and abdomen
- Recognise the causes of Peri-Arrest
- Perform an iHeartScan Peri-Arrest scan
- Write an iHeartScan Peri-Arrest report
The Peri-arrest simulator course is delivered in four components:
- Pre-reading eLearning tutorials and 20 online case studies. This provides the knowledge base to perform and interpret basic lung, heart and abdominal images to identify the cause of peri-arrest.
- Three-hour workshop. Managed in your institution to learn how to acquire images and how to use the simulator.
- Post-workshop Case Studies and Exam. 16 online cases to perform using the simulator. The participant in their own time will work through a case study, acquiring images, interpreting pathology, writing a report and completing assessments relevant to the case. At the end of this stage, there is an online MCQ exam.
- 30 online logbooks to record clinical activity performed on patients.
Completion of the course requires a 70% pass mark of all pre-reading cases, simulator cases, and exam.
This course is available for claiming below CME / CPD:
For more information, go to How to Claim CME and CPD.
Click on the ‘Enrol now’ button to be guided to the application form.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy
Participants are required to inform our office in writing if they need to cancel their place on a FUSE/FCU course or iHeartScan workshop. Requests to cancel a course or workshop or to transfer to another course or workshop must be sent by email to email@example.com.
The cancellation and transfer policies are as follows:
- Up to 6 weeks prior to the course/workshop: a full refund will be provided within 10 working days after you have notified (and received acknowledgement) from the office.
- 2 – 6 weeks prior to the course/workshop: For a FUSE or FCU simulator course, 40% ($100) cancellation fee will be charged. For an iHeartScan course, a 40% ($560) cancellation fee of the workshop fee will be charged and the difference will be refunded within 10 working days after you have notified (and received acknowledgement) from the office.
- 2 weeks prior to the workshop: a 100% cancellation fee will apply and no refund will be given.
- 12 months to 6 weeks prior: Transfer is free of charge.
- 2 to 6 weeks prior: For a FUSE or FCU simulator course, an administration fee of $50 will be charged. For iHeartScan an administration fee of $195 will be charged.
- 2 weeks prior: No transfer will be given.
- In the event that the course/workshop you are registered in is cancelled or re-scheduled, registrants will have the option of receiving a full refund or transferring to an alternate workshop within 12 months of the original workshop registration date.
A: Level 6, Centre for Medical Research (entrance 5), Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3050