Focused Cardiac Ultrasound Transoesophageal Echocardiography Advanced
The FCU TOE Advanced course builds upon the foundational knowledge taught in the FCU TOE course. It is highly recommended that participants complete FCU TOE prior to enrolling in the advanced course.
The Focused Cardiac Ultrasound Transoesophageal Echocardiography Advanced Course will take participants to a new level of understanding of TOE including quantification of valvular and ventricular function and pulmonary hypertension including colour, spectral and tissue Doppler.
This course is designed for Anaesthetists, intensive care, and emergency department physicians, and surgeons who wish to learn how to use Point-Of-Care (POC) transoesophageal guidance techniques.
- Basic Haemodynamic State
- Doppler Assessement - Valvular Regurgitation and Stenosis
- Left Ventricular Function
- Right Ventricular Function
- How to perform case studies
- Operation of the ultrasound simulator
- Operation of the ultrasound machine
20 Case Studies
3 Hours hand-on simulation orientation at Ultrasound Education Group - Department of Surgery
A: Level 6, Centre for Medical Research (entrance 5), Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3050
- 10 simulator cases performed in student's own time over few weeks from workshop date
- Online exam – 20 multiple choice questions
- 1 course completion certificate
- 30 Electronic logbook provided for post-course FCU scans
The course requires approximately 30 hours of study, comprising 10 hours of tutorials, 10 hours of online cases, a 3-hour workshop and 7 hours for the simulator cases and end-of-course exam.
Students have the flexibility to study in their own time and location, however will need access to an ultrasound simulator with the required pathology cases to complete the course. Program materials can be accessed through the eLearning Education app on mobiles and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Program materials can also be accessed using a web browser.
As this course is an advanced course, the basics of image acquisition and interpretation are not covered. Hence it is strongly advised (but not mandatory) for participants to have some basic proficiency in Transoesophageal Echocardiography, such as completion of the Focused Cardiac Ultrasound Transoesophageal Echocardiography course, iHeartScanTM workshop or equivalent.
The in-course assessment is submission of the eLearning self-assessments including case studies (approximately 200 MCQ’s). After completion of the 10 post-workshop, self-directed simulator cases, participants are required to complete an online open book exam (20 MCQs). Upon satisfactory completion of all assessments, a personalized certificate of completion is provided.
The practical learning consists of a small group with an instructor (maximum of 5 participants per instructor and simulator) to learn how to operate the ultrasound simulator and to learn how to perform the image acquisition skills (3 hours). The ultrasound simulator enables highly efficient learning using dual screen display of both 3D rendered and labelled anatomy and ultrasound. Real time measurements are performed on realistic pathology cases using 2D (caliper and area), M-Mode, colour flow Doppler, Pulsed Wave and Continuous wave Doppler. The aim of the workshop is to orientate participants in how to operate the simulator and to perform the simulator cases on their own, guided by their personal digital assistant.
A/Prof David Canty
A/Prof David Canty
Prof Colin Royse
Prof Alistair Royse
Prof Andre Denault
Dr Nathan Peters
HOW MUCH IS IT?
$330 (incl. GST)
Application and payment for course can be completed online via eCart below.
Participants are required to inform our office in writing if they need to cancel their place on a FUSE/FCU course or iHeartScan workshop.
Participants are required to inform our office in writing if they need to cancel their place on a FUSE/FCU course or iHeartScan workshop. Requests to cancel a course or workshop or to transfer to another course or workshop must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cancellation and transfer policies are as follows:
- Up to 6 weeks prior to the course/workshop: a full refund will be provided within 10 working days after you have notified (and received acknowledgement) from the office.
- 2 – 6 weeks prior to the course/workshop: For a FUSE or FCU simulator course, 40% ($100) cancellation fee will be charged. For an iHeartScan course, a 40% ($560) cancellation fee of the workshop fee will be charged and the difference will be refunded within 10 working days after you have notified (and received acknowledgement) from the office.
- 2 weeks prior to the workshop: a 100% cancellation fee will apply and no refund will be given.
- 12 months to 6 weeks prior: Transfer is free of charge.
- 2 to 6 weeks prior: For a FUSE or FCU simulator course, an administration fee of $50 will be charged. For iHeartScan an administration fee of $195 will be charged.
- 2 weeks prior: No transfer will be given.
- In the event that the course/workshop you are registered in is cancelled or re-scheduled, registrants will have the option of receiving a full refund or transferring to an alternate workshop within 12 months of the original workshop registration date.