Focused Ultrasound Simulation Education - Vascular
The FUSE Guided Vascular Access Course offers venous or arterial cannulation to increase success and reduce the risk of complications by guidance with ultrasound.
This course is the eLearning component that guides the participant through the vascular simulator learning course. The course has been designed to teach ultrasound-guided vascular access techniques for central vein line insertion, PICC lines, radial arterial cannulation and femoral vein and arterial cannulation using gel phantoms as the simulators. The course is suitable for anyone wanting to learn ultrasound guided vascular access.
This course is designed for anaesthetists, intensive care, emergency department physicians and surgeons who wish to learn how to use Point-of-Care (POC) vascular ultrasound-guided techniques.
Students have the flexibility to study in their own time and location. Course materials can be accessed through the iTeachU app on smartphones and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once the program materials have been downloaded on smartphones and tablets, all the interactive media content can be viewed even when offline (however internet access is required periodically to login or re-verify login credentials). Program materials can also be accessed online using a web browser.
The Ultrasound Guided Simulator Vascular Access course is delivered in four components:
- Pre-reading eLearning tutorials, and pre-workshop MCQ exam. This provides the knowledge base to perform ultrasound-guided vascular access.
- Three-hour workshop. Managed in your institution to demonstrate how to perform vascular access on the simulators (imaging, needle technique and feeding a wire into the vessel).
- Post-workshop Case Studies and Exam. Four self-directed cannulations on each of internal jugular vein, axillary/subclavian vein, peripheral vein, radial artery, femoral artery and femoral vein. At the end of this stage there is an online MCQ exam.
- Optional. 30 online logbook to record clinical activity performed on patients.
- Perform basic needle techniques (blue phantom gel blocks)
- Ultrasound of the upper limb (picc line and radial art line)
- Ultrasound of the neck – internal jugular and axillary vein catheter
- Ultrasound of the femoral vein and artery
Completion of the course requires a 70% pass mark of all pre-reading cases, simulator cases, and exam.
This course is available for claiming below CME / CPD:
For more information, go to How to Claim CME and CPD.
Participants are required to inform our office in writing if they need to cancel their place on a FUSE/FCU course or iHeartScan workshop. Requests to cancel a course or workshop or to transfer to another course or workshop must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cancellation and transfer policies are as follows:
- Up to 6 weeks prior to the course/workshop: a full refund will be provided within 10 working days after you have notified (and received acknowledgement) from the office.
- 2 – 6 weeks prior to the course/workshop: For a FUSE or FCU simulator course, 40% ($100) cancellation fee will be charged. For an iHeartScan course, a 40% ($560) cancellation fee of the workshop fee will be charged and the difference will be refunded within 10 working days after you have notified (and received acknowledgement) from the office.
- 2 weeks prior to the workshop: a 100% cancellation fee will apply and no refund will be given.
- 12 months to 6 weeks prior: Transfer is free of charge.
- 2 to 6 weeks prior: For a FUSE or FCU simulator course, an administration fee of $50 will be charged. For iHeartScan an administration fee of $195 will be charged.
- 2 weeks prior: No transfer will be given.
- In the event that the course/workshop you are registered in is cancelled or re-scheduled, registrants will have the option of receiving a full refund or transferring to an alternate workshop within 12 months of the original workshop registration date.
FOR FURTHER ENQUIRIES, PLEASE CONTACT:
A: Level 6, Centre for Medical Research (entrance 5), Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3050