Focused Ultrasound Simulation Education - Vascular
The FUSE Guided Vascular Access Course offers venous or arterial cannulation to increase success and reduce the risk of complications by guidance with ultrasound.
This course is the eLearning component that guides the participant through the vascular simulator learning course. The course has been designed to teach ultrasound-guided vascular access techniques for central vein line insertion, PICC lines, radial arterial cannulation and femoral vein and arterial cannulation using gel phantoms as the simulators. The course is suitable for anyone wanting to learn ultrasound guided vascular access.
This course is designed for anaesthetists, intensive care, emergency department physicians and surgeons who wish to learn how to use Point-of-Care (POC) vascular ultrasound-guided techniques.
- Perform basic needle techniques (blue phantom gel blocks)
- Ultrasound of the upper limb (picc line and radial art line)
- Ultrasound of the neck – internal jugular and axillary vein catheter
- Ultrasound of the femoral vein and artery
The Ultrasound Guided Simulator Vascular Access course is delivered in four components:
- Pre-reading eLearning tutorials, and pre-workshop MCQ exam. This provides the knowledge base to perform ultrasound-guided vascular access.
- Three-hour workshop. Managed in your institution to demonstrate how to perform vascular access on the simulators (imaging, needle technique and feeding a wire into the vessel).
- Post-workshop Case Studies and Exam. Four self-directed cannulations on each of internal jugular vein, axillary/subclavian vein, peripheral vein, radial artery, femoral artery and femoral vein. At the end of this stage there is an online MCQ exam.
- Optional. 30 online logbook to record clinical activity performed on patients.
Completion of the course requires a 70% pass mark of all pre-reading cases, simulator cases, and exam.
Cancellation and Refunds
- Participants are required to inform our office in writing by completing this form if they need to cancel their place in a workshop.
- Students are offered 7 opportunities to attend a workshop throughout the year.
- Course refunds will not be offered to those who cannot attend the workshop, unless in extenuating circumstances.
This course is available for claiming below CME / CPD:
For more information, go to How to Claim CME and CPD.
A: Level 6, Centre for Medical Research (entrance 5), Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3050