Focused Ultrasound Simulator Education - Lung Ultrasound
The Focused Ultrasound Simulator Education (FUSE) Lung & Gastric Ultrasound Course will teach participants to perform lung ultrasound and identify patterns of lung pathology, including normal, pneumothorax, pleural effusion, pulmonary oedema, minor and major consolidation.
This course includes practical training of how to perform safe ultrasound-guided drainage of pleural effusion using an ultrasound machine, mannequin-simulator using commonly used seldinger-technique equipment.
This course is designed for Surgeons, Physicians, Registrars, Resident Medical Officers and Medical Students who wish to learn to perform lung ultrasound and identify patterns of lung pathology.
- Understand the clinical uses of ultrasound for assessment of lung pathology and gastric contents
- Perform a standardised lung ultrasound examination in the erect and supine patient
- Interpretation of lung pathology and gastric contents and the limitations of ultrasound
- Perform ultrasound-guided ultrasound-guided drainage of pleural effusio
Completion of the course requires a 70% pass mark of all pre-reading cases, simulator cases, and exam.
Students have the flexibility to study in their own time and location. Program materials can be accessed through the Education app on smartphones and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once the program materials have been downloaded on smartphones and tablets, all the interactive media content can be viewed even when offline (however, internet access is required periodically to login or re-verify login credentials). Program materials can also be accessed online using a web browser.
The Lung and gastric ultrasound simulator course is delivered in four components:
- Pre-reading eLearning tutorials and 10 online case studies.
- Three-hour workshop. Participants learn how to use the simulator to acquire the lung and gastric ultrasound views and how to perform ultrasound-guided ultrasound-guided drainage of pleural effusion.
- Post-workshop Case Studies and Exam. 13 online cases to perform using the simulator. In their own time, the participant will work through a case study, acquiring images, interpreting pathology, writing a report and completing assessments relevant to the case. Participants also practice ultrasound-guided drainage of pleural effusion. At the end of this stage, there is an online MCQ exam.
- 30 online logbooks to record clinical activity cases performed on patients.
- Up to 6 weeks prior to the course/workshop: a full refund will be provided within 10 working days after you have notified (and received acknowledgement) from the office.
- 2 – 6 weeks prior to the course/workshop: For a FUSE or FCU simulator course, 40% ($100) cancellation fee will be charged. For an iHeartScan course, a 40% ($560) cancellation fee of the workshop fee will be charged and the difference will be refunded within 10 working days after you have notified (and received acknowledgement) from the office.
- 2 weeks prior to the workshop: a 100% cancellation fee will apply and no refund will be given.
- 12 months to 6 weeks prior: Transfer is free of charge.
- 2 to 6 weeks prior: For a FUSE or FCU simulator course, an administration fee of $50 will be charged. For iHeartScan an administration fee of $195 will be charged.
- 2 weeks prior: No transfer will be given.
- In the event that the course/workshop you are registered in is cancelled or re-scheduled, registrants will have the option of receiving a full refund or transferring to an alternate workshop within 12 months of the original workshop registration date.
HOW MUCH IS IT?
$330 (incl. GST)
Application and payment for course can be completed online via eCart below.
FOR FURTHER ENQUIRIES, PLEASE CONTACT:
A: Level 6, Centre for Medical Research (entrance 5), Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3050
This course is available for claiming below CME / CPD:
Participants are required to inform our office in writing if they need to cancel their place on a FUSE/FCU course or iHeartScan workshop.
Participants are required to inform our office in writing if they need to cancel their place on a FUSE/FCU course or iHeartScan workshop. Requests to cancel a course or workshop or to transfer to another course or workshop must be sent by email to email@example.com.
The cancellation and transfer policies are as follows: