Access Melbourne: Non-school leaver entry
Are you more than 23 years of age and considering undergraduate study at the University of Melbourne? You may be eligible for our Access Melbourne non-school leaver category.
Non-school leaver eligibility
As a non-school leaver, you may be eligible for Access Melbourne consideration if you meet all of the following criteria:
- 23 years of age or older on 30 September 2020 (for Semester 1, 2021 entry), or 31 May 2021 (for Semester 2, 2021 entry); and
- An Australian or New Zealand citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa; and
- Hold no qualifications obtained during the past seven years that may support your university application. This does not include single subjects completed to satisfy course prerequisites or demonstrate your likelihood to succeed, further explained below. (For Semester 1, 2021 entry you must not have attained secondary or tertiary results since Semester 2, 2013).
N.B. If you have completed a TAFE qualification during the past seven years this may not preclude your eligibility for the non-school leaver entry pathway – please get in touch with us to confirm.
Academic eligibility criteria
All Access Melbourne applicants who meet our non-school leaver criteria must also satisfy the academic requirements outlined below:
- Meet the course prerequisites of your preferred course and satisfy any additional application requirements; and
- Demonstrate your likelihood to succeed in tertiary study by achieving competitive results in one of the following:
- Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT), strong results must be achieved for the written English and multiple choice sections, or
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), strong results must be achieved across all sections, or
- Complete 50 points* of single subject Community Access Program (CAP) study in assessed mode, and achieve an overall minimum average of 75%; and
- Meet the University's English language requirements.
*50 points of CAP study will typically require applicants to complete four CAP subjects.
What undergraduate courses can I apply for?
As a non-school leaver applicant you may apply to the following undergraduate courses:
- Bachelor of Agriculture
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedicine
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Design
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (all specialisations)*
- Bachelor of Music*
- Bachelor of Oral Health
- Bachelor of Science.
*Additional application requirements must be satisfied to be eligible for course selection.
Please note that that the Access Melbourne non-school leaver category does not provide applicants with an entry point to the Diploma in General Studies, the University's Chancellor's Scholars programs, or our Graduate Degree Packages.
What course prerequisites do I need to meet?
All undergraduate applicants must meet the University’s English language requirement.
Additional subject prerequisites are required for some of our undergraduate degrees. It is important to ensure that you satisfy these course requirements as this will be assumed knowledge from your first day as a University of Melbourne student. There are a number of ways to satisfy the prerequisites of your chosen course, find out how by following the link below.