Under 18 accommodation

If you enter Australia under the age of 18, you'll need to make appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements while living and studying at Melbourne.

Accommodation options you can choose from include living with an eligible parent, relative or guardian, or living in accommodation approved by the University of Melbourne.

Your accommodation options include:

You may be able to live with a parent, guardian, or eligible relative while studying at Melbourne.

They'll need to have a valid visa to stay with you in Australia, and must:

  • have enough money to support you and themselves during their stay
  • be able to provide accommodation and other support
  • be at least 21 years of age.

More information.

Melbourne Accommodation Program

The University provides an accommodation guarantee for all under 18-international students in university-owned or partnered accommodation. All residencies have been assessed and meet the requirements of the University for international students under 18 years of age. Specific lease agreement details and fees will vary between providers.

To apply for the Melbourne Accommodation Program and be part of the accommodation guarantee, see University Accommodation

If you want to live in University Accommodation, you’ll also need to register with the Under 18 International Student Supervision Program.

You may choose to live in a homestay arrangement or in another student-only accommodation provider.

If you do, the University must inspect and approve your intended accommodation. Your proposed accommodation must meet the following conditions:

  • your parent (or legal guardian) must approve the proposed arrangements
  • there must be a responsible adult aged 21 years or over living in the household
  • all adults in the household must hold a current Working with Children Check
  • the housing must be located within a reasonable distance to campus. Travel time to campus should not exceed 35-40 minutes, and you must be able to travel safely between campus and home.

If you want to live in alternative accommodation, you’ll also need to register with the Under 18 International Student Supervision Program.

You can also apply to live in one of our residential colleges.

Each college has its own unique culture, traditions and accommodation, so it's important you research your options to find the right fit for you.

View Residential Colleges

Need help applying?

You can contact the International Under 18 Student Supervision team to discuss the program, support, welfare and accommodation options: Email Under 18 student support