Moving in

Ready to move into your new accommodation?

Read our helpful advice on what you can do to ensure the accommodation you've moved into meets your expectations and reflects the rental agreement you've signed. Also refer to our up-to-date information on renting in Victoria from Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) and Tenants Victoria (TUV).

Moving to Melbourne

To help you find accommodation when you move to Melbourne:

  • Arrive in Melbourne a few weeks before Orientation. This will give you time to find suitable accommodation and settle in before classes commence. If you’re a first-year undergraduate students, University Accommodation is a quick and easy way to arrange your accommodation.
  • Arrange or book temporary accommodation if you plan to pursue private rental. Don't sign a lease on a property you haven't seen in person.
  • Make housing your first priority but don't rush. Rushing can lead to bad decisions around housing, such as choosing the wrong accommodation, which could have a knock-on effect on your studies.

Starting a Tenancy

Starting a tenancy is a big step and you want to be sure you're entering into it with full awareness of what your rights are.

Useful resources on starting a tenancy

Bond Lodged with the RTBA

The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) holds all Victorian residential tenancy bonds, including those for rented premises, long-term caravans, rooming houses (buildings where one or more rooms are available to rent, and four or more people in total can occupy those rooms).

Useful resources on rental bonds

Condition Reports

The condition report notes the general condition of the property or room including fittings and fixtures. The condition report is important because it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning or damage, particularly at the end of a tenancy.

Useful resources on condition reports