Medley Hall is a University-owned residential college. It is home to 57 students at the Hall itself and 15 mature-age and graduate students at nearby Cydelia House. Welcoming and inclusive, Medley Hall is the smallest of the residential colleges with a focus on social and environmental sustainability. Live close to campus and the city in a beautiful heritage-listed, Victorian mansion connected with a modern building.
- Safe and comfortable accommodation
- All meals are included with a focus on ethically sourced and sustainable food
- Academic and social activities to help you feel connected and supported
- Focus on environmental and social sustainability
Medley has a commitment to creating a culturally safe and inclusive environment, as a residential college on the Country of the Kulin Nations.
We welcome students from a diverse range of backgrounds and aim to provide an intellectually and socially stimulating community.
We hold true to the values of inclusion, respect and responsibility - for the physical and social environment, as well as for individual action.
We do this through organising a range of activities and opportunities, including:
- Welcome week
- Formal dinners
- Dinner guests who range from public figures, academics, authors and artists with expertise in areas as diverse as social justice, heath, music, sculpture and writing
- Music recitals
- Practical skill-building classes
- The Medley Ball
- Events between the colleges including Battle of the Bands, theatre sports and dinner swaps
- Academic tutorials run by in-house tutors
At Medley Hall we have taken up the challenge of contributing to a sustainable world. We want ours to be a community concerned about the environment, and active in promoting and ensuring sustainable practice.
Some of the sustainability initiatives currently in place include:
- Recycling program
- Edible roof garden
- Honey bees from Rooftop Honey
- Healthy, locally produced food, including free range eggs and meat.
- Reducing food waste
- Non-toxic and biodegradable cleaning products
- Worm farm and composting facilities
- Line-drying for clothes
The 2009-2011 renovations of Medley Hall created a sustainable building that maximises the efficient use of power and water. Rainwater is captured and recycled for use as grey water in the college. Lights are movement-sensitive time switches to limit unnecessary use. The Atrium is heated and cooled by air moving through an underground rock labyrinth and by light sensitive louvres, thus eliminating the need for air-conditioning. All student rooms have double glazed windows.
- Study centre
- Private study rooms
- Music practice room
- Full university gym membership included
- Cinema / TV room
- Basketball court
- Games room
- Bike store
- Parcels (at reception)
- Communal kitchen
- BBQ (at Cydelia House)
- Vending machines
- Utilities included
- Internet included
- Entry system (Fob)
- Dining hall
- Reception staffed during office hours
- After hours support
Facilities in all rooms
- Single bed (with mattress and mattress protector)
- Desk, pin board, chair and desk light
- Hydronic heating
- Double glazing
- Internet access
Facilities available on each floor
- Oven (in communal kitchen)
- Dishwasher (Available in communal areas in the building)
- Stovetop (in communal kitchen)
- Full-length mirror (in each room)
- Office chair
- Other chair
- Vacuum (available to borrow from reception)
- Lockable cupboard
- DDA compliant rooms
- Shared unisex bathrooms (one wheelchair accessible per floor)
|Room types and costs||Location||Weekly rate1 2021|
|Undergraduate Single Study Bedrooms including all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)||Medley Hall||$745|
|Graduate bedrooms including all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)||Cydelia House||$745|
1 Weekly rate available for 39 week lease. All rates are in $AUD, per person, per week and are inclusive of utilities, including internet.
|The University of Melbourne||Stop 1 (Parkville)||1.1km||13min||5min||8min|
|The University of Melbourne (Southbank campus)||Stop 1 (Southbank)||2.1km||34min||10min||22min|
|The University of Melbourne Sports Centre||Lincoln Square||700m||9min||4min||11min|
|The University of Melbourne Sports Centre||Parkville||1.2km||20min||7min||15min|
|Closest library||State Library||800m||9min||2min||9min|
|Melbourne CBD||Melbourne Central Station||900m||9min||4min||8min|
Medley Hall awards around $280K in residential college fee remissions each year to new and returning students. These bursaries allow University of Melbourne students who require financial aid to live at Medley Hall.
There is no academic requirement, rather a process of means-testing. This takes into account all other sources of financial support including help from parents and relatives, Centrelink payments, income and other scholarships.
Melbourne Access Scholars are eligible for guaranteed places at the College if applications are received prior to the end of December.
|Medley Hall Bursaries||$1000 - $15,000* in college fee remission|
* Larger amounts may be awarded depending on individual need.