Applications open twice each year for start-year (semester one) and mid-year (semester two) entry. It is also possible to commence the diploma in the summer semester if required. You must apply for the diploma prior to the semester in which you wish to commence it.
Go to Student Admin, then Enrolment, then New Course Applications and Offers and select Apply for another University of Melbourne course.
Please note: A place in the diploma cannot be deferred.
For more information please see the Students Concurrent Diploma web page.
Language proficiency and streams
The diploma may be studied by students with no prior knowledge of a language as well as those who have completed several years of study. You will commence the language at the entry point appropriate to your previous experience. The language programs conduct proficiency tests prior to each semester for incoming students.
Take the test
Before you apply
- Fill out a course map for the Diploma you wish to apply for and submit this with your application. The course map must be up to date and completed after the census date of the semester before your commencement. Example: for Summer semester / Semester 1 the course map must be completed and approved from 1 September. For Semester 2 the course map must be completed and approved from 1 April. It outlines when you plan to undertake subjects towards your degree and diploma, and which subjects you intend to cross credit. This will help you work out the best time to apply for admission to your diploma. Stop 1 is available to assist you with completing our course map.
- Get your course map approved by a course advisor. You can either attend a course planning appointment or alternatively submit it via ask.unimelb.
How to apply
Once you have completed the steps above, please submit your application:
- Log into my.unimelb and navigate to the Student admin tab
- Click Enrolment at the top of the page
- Under New course applications and offers, select Apply for another University of Melbourne Course
- Attach your completed and approved course map to your application
- You must also specify which language you wish to study, and upload your result from the Language Placement Test
Please note: Graduate students may only apply to study the Diploma in Languages concurrently with a graduate course. Not all Masters by Coursework degrees allow for concurrent diplomas. For graduate students from a Faculty other than Arts, the Diploma of Languages application must be accompanied with the approval of your course coordinator. Faculty of Arts graduate students do not need to provide the approval from the course coordinator.
Frequently asked questions
Before you apply
- Check the degree website
- Ensure that you are enrolled in a Graduate Coursework or Research Higher Degree program
- Complete the online language proficiency test to determine your language entry point
- Gather all supporting documents to upload during the online application process