Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing
- 1 year part time
- Available to domestic students.
- Summer Intake - December and Winter Intake - June
Critical care nurses provide essential care to seriously ill patients and their families. It’s a specialist role that requires collaboration with the interprofessional team, so patients can receive the highest quality care when facing potentially life-threatening conditions.
The Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing expands the scope of practice for Registered Nurses. It advances your knowledge, specialist skills and core competencies related to critical care nursing which are required to care for patients in the critical care environment.
Drawing on current evidence-based practice in the care and management of the critically ill, this course will equip you to assess and manage seriously unwell patients. You’ll have the opportunity to develop your analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills as well as your critical care knowledge and capabilities. You’ll acquire the skills to analyse and critique delivery of specialist nursing care in the current healthcare context. Through this course, you’ll become proficient in using evidence-based nursing research skills to plan, and to implement and evaluate the provision of care in critical care environments.
Offered online, this flexibly delivered course will enable graduates to competently practice as a critical care registered nurse in accordance with either the Emergency Nursing or Australian College of Critical Care Nurses Practice Standards.
Students of this course have nested study options, which means you have alternative entry and exit pathways. You can choose to finish your specialist education early and graduate with a Specialist Certificate in Critical Care Nursing. Or on successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing, you may also be eligible to enrol in the Master of Advanced Nursing Practice.
This course is not available to international students unless registered under APHRA and working in an Australian accredited health care facility.
We’ve devised this course to provide a sound understanding of the requirements of critical care nursing, with a focus on emergency and intensive care.
In 2019, students can choose Intensive Care as a major specialisation and in 2021, students can choose either Emergency or Emergency-Intensive Care as a specialisation.
Completion of the Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing enables you to:
- Apply specialist knowledge and clinical competence in the critical care setting to facilitate patient centred care and ensure optimal clinical outcomes
- Develop a sound theoretical base to inform nursing practice in dynamic, complex and demanding critical care environments
- Comprehensively assess and care for patients with life-threatening health problems using informed and advanced clinical judgement and skills
- Utilise and evaluate qualitative and quantitative health research to determine best evidence for critical care nursing practice
- Justify and prioritise clinical decisions using evidence-based data to ensure professional integrity and ethical nursing practice.
This course has been designed so you can develop a greater understanding of the role of the nurse as an integral member of the critical care team. You’ll become competent in effective communication to ensure safe practice and support for the interprofessional team, as well as patients and families.
By specialising in critical care nursing, you will:
- Participate in continuous learning to practice safe and effective critical care nursing thorough enhancing critical thinking, clinical skills and knowledge
- Develop leadership, mentoring and educational skills to contribute to high standard critical care practice and facilitate quality improvement in the healthcare setting.
What’s distinctive about this course is that while it is delivered online, it incorporates work-industry clinical experience. The course delivers theoretical content through online study and a practical clinical speciality component at a partner hospital. The students’ employing hospital facilitates your clinical practice and education in the clinical setting.
Interested in this course?
Register your interest and we will keep you up to date with important course information like entry requirements and application open and closing dates.