Master of Teaching (Primary)
- CRICOS code: 093411M
Prepares you to teach children aged five to 12 years across all primary years with possible specialisations in literacy and mathematics.
Why study at Melbourne?
- Readiness to teach. Be confident in classrooms by integrating the latest theory with practice so you can work with learners of all abilities and evaluate, identify and support their individual learning needs as they evolve over time.
- Practical experience and unparalleled support. Become an active member of a school from your first semester and be supported by a Mentor Teacher and Clinical Specialist every step of the way.
- Holistic approach to teaching. As well as creating high impact learning environments, gain other important skills such as establishing safe environments and promoting positive behaviours to nurture wellbeing for yourself and your students, and encourage future generations to adopt an ecological mindset through sustainable practices.
- Indigenous perspectives. Build a greater understanding of Indigenous worldviews, in particular Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ways of knowing and being so you are empowered with inclusive learning activities for Australia’s next generation citizens.
- Influence and shape educational communities. Build capabilities to confidently take on leadership positions as you embark on your career.
- High employability. 96 per cent of our graduates gain employment within four months of graduating.*
Who is the program for?
Those seeking to become teachers in primary settings and apply for provisional registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT).
Or to pursue a career in:
- children’s services coordination
- policy development
- quality regulation
- assessment or positions involving early intervention for children with special needs.
Students who have completed a Bachelor degree at the University of Melbourne have access to a Guaranteed Entry early admission pathway into the Master of Teaching. This includes early admission into the Master of Teaching and a Commonwealth Supported Place (for domestic students only). If you’re a year 12 student, you can secure your place in the Master of Teaching program with one of our new Graduate Degree Packages, comprising both a Bachelor’s and Master’s qualification.
*Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching Graduate Outcomes Survey 2018-2020