Master of Translation and Interpreting
- CRICOS Code: 103338F
Meet Melbourne Online
Learn more about studying the arts, humanities and social sciences.
Who is it for?
The Master of Translation and Interpreting is aimed at Chinese-English bilinguals who intend to work as professional translators and interpreters in professional roles that demand high-level translation, interpreting and intercultural skills. Graduates may work in fields such as government, business, commerce, law, international relations, or specialised technical areas.
The Master of Translation and Interpreting at the University of Melbourne will give you comprehensive theoretical, practical and academic training to prepare you for your career.
- Develop your bilingual skills and gain skills in cultural agility
- Learn not just how to translate, but how to think critically about what you are translating
- Learn from academics with diverse research interests
- Gain professional translating experience through internship opportunities and work on real-world industry projects
- If research is your goal, take the optional research pathway via the Translation and Interpreting Thesis 1 (TRAN90012)
- Access to the intellectual resources of Australia’s No. 1 university, in particular from the Asia Institute
- The program is endorsed by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) for: Certified Translator, Certified Advanced Translator, Certified Provisional Interpreter, Certified Interpreter, Certified Specialist Legal Interpreter
What will I learn?
The program focuses on both written and oral translation between English and Chinese languages.
- Develop professional competence in translating and interpreting specialised topics such as legal and business document translation
- Learn how to manage terminology, use translation technologies, and negotiate the cultural and intellectual boundaries of the Chinese and English-speaking worlds
- Gain theoretical understanding of translation and interpreting, and apply it to your practical learning
- Study in intensive small group sessions, autonomously through learning technologies, and in connection with industry partners and placement in a professional translation and interpreting environment