Bachelor of Music (Composition)
- CRICOS code: 058837J
- VTAC code: 3800638231
- International VTAC code: 3800638233
- 6 years part time / 3 years full time
- Honours available
- On Campus (Southbank)
- Available to domestic and international students
- Start Year Intake - February
The Bachelor of Music provides advanced training across a variety of musical disciplines. Students major in Composition, Interactive Composition, Jazz & Improvisation, Musicology & Ethnomusicology, Music Studies, or Performance.
The program develops technically advanced and experienced musicians through an immersive and practical curriculum with music core studies, music electives and complementary breadth subjects.
The focus of the Composition major is to develop the art and craft of writing and notating music for live performance, based in the Western art music tradition but extending beyond it while fostering the emergence of your individual compositional voice.
- Develop skills, knowledge and understanding of the practical, theoretical and conceptual aspects of music
- Broaden their musical knowledge across a range of styles and repertoire
- Develop advanced critical thinking and creative problem-solving through regular practical activities and theoretical studies
- Participate in performance and academic activities
- Have opportunities for solo and ensemble performances
- Have access to a wide range of invaluable career experiences at a local or international context.
Upon completion of the course, you may choose to apply for a fourth-year Honours degree. An honours year provides an intensive mode of study allowing you to master your knowledge and create a pathway into advanced graduate study options in music.