Bachelor of Music (Jazz and Improvisation)
- CRICOS Code: 058837J
- VTAC Code: 3800638231
- International VTAC Code: 3800638233
- 3 years full time / 6 years part time
- Honours available
- On Campus (Parkville, Southbank)
- Available to domestic and international students
The Bachelor of Music provides advanced, pre-professional music training in five specialisations: Interactive Composition, Jazz & Improvisation, and Music Performance, Composition, Musicology/Ethnomusicology.
These five specialisations develop technically advanced and experienced musicians through an immersive and practical curriculum with music core studies, music electives and complementary University breadth subjects.
The Bachelor of Music (Jazz & Improvisation) will provide you with advanced, pre-professional ensemble and individual studio-based music training with a central focus on creativity and technical skills.
The Jazz & Improvisation specialisation reflects our long history and ethos of practical, intensive and performance-based musical training.
This specialisation celebrates its role as the custodian of Australian jazz, improvised music performance and scholarship, while embracing its status as the nation’s pre-eminent cultivator of new works drawing on the Australian Indigenous, non-Western, European and African-American jazz traditions within a culture of inclusivity that embraces diversity.
- Develop advanced performance and composition skills within individual and ensemble performance contexts through studio intensive practice
- Develop your personal voice and technical skills through contemporary performance practice and creation of original compositions
- Broaden your musical knowledge across a range of styles and repertoire, including: African-American tradition of Jazz, Blues, RnB, Gospel and the European traditions of folk, indie and experimental music and improvisational processes.
- Join a close-knit creative and collaborative community of passionate musicians
- Participate in regular master classes with distinguished national and international artists and teachers
- Learn from some of the most committed, talented and experienced teachers in Australia and internationally, and play an active part in the musical life of the University and the city of Melbourne.
Upon completion of the course, you may choose to apply for a fourth-year Honours degree. An honours year provides an intensive mode of study allowing you to master your specialisation and create a pathway into advanced graduate study options in music.