Diploma in Music
You’ve been accepted to your undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne and chosen to study a concurrent Diploma. Now all you need to do is apply.
For more information please see the Students Concurrent Diploma web page.
- Apply online at my.unimelb using course code D-MUSIC
- Complete a Course Planning Document/Map
- Attend appointment with a Stop 1 course planning advisor
- Upload your approved course plan to your application
- If applying for Practical Music 1, prepare and submit your recorded audition.
Please note: you must apply and pass an audition to enter the practical music stream.
Entry into the subject MUSI10220 Practical Music 1 is by audition only for Diploma in Music students. Note the close date for Practical Music 1 is earlier than for the Diploma.
- Applicants should prepare 2-3 pieces or movements of no longer than 15 minutes demonstrating their skill on the instrument they wish to study
- Select each piece from the Western Art Music repertoire (except for electric guitar and bass)
- Pieces should be of contrasting style, period and composer (e.g. works from the Baroque, Romantic and 20th century repertoires)
- Recordings must be made in one take, unedited video
- Semester 2 2020: audition applications close on 17 July 2020. Diploma in Music applications close 24 July 2020.
Repertoire presented at AMEB Grade 7 standard for instrumentalists and Grade 5 for singers, generally makes for a competitive audition. These standards are given as an indication only, to guide your choice of audition repertoire. AMEB examinations are not a pre-requisite for entry to Practical Music 1.
All successful Wind, Brass, String and Percussion students must meet with the respective Head of Area prior to the start of Semester to discuss ensemble placements - this is an essential component to undertaking Practical Music 1. Similarly, successful Keyboard and Voice students will need new student interviews. The Heads of Instrument Areas are listed on our Faculty website, and you will be contacted only after receipt of your successful audition notification regarding this requirement. Submit audition application via SlideRoom. There are no additional costs in submitting an application.