Basic Pathological Sciences Preparation Course
Are you a doctor or medical student with interest in pathology? Or one who finds pathology difficult and wants to update and improve their knowledge? Are you preparing for a pathology exam in your specialty? This might be just the course for you!
The Basic Pathological Sciences (BPS) Exam of the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia a standard-setting certificate for foundational pathology knowledge expected of medical graduates and junior medical doctors. As the science of pathology and its applications in laboratory and clinical medicine are evolving rapidly, taking a refresher course geared towards a certificate exam is beneficial to maintain currency of knowledge.
- This is a hybrid course (face-to-face and online live delivery). You’re encouraged to attend the course in our beautiful venue at the University of Melbourne grounds. If you can’t, the whole course will be broadcasted live on both days.
- A weekend course that offers an intensive mix of interactive lectures, exam technique workshops, mock exams and review of questions in the style of past RCPA Basic Pathological Sciences exams.
- Designed and delivered by specialists in the field, it covers high impact topics from the BPS exam syllabus for high yield revision and exam success and is also an excellent stand-alone refresher course for clinical pathology and laboratory medicine.
- Five mock exam modules provided throughout the course, with feedback and recommendations.
- Pathology registrars and final year medical students with interest in pathology, preparing for BPS exam. The course would benefit health professionals and students of any tertiary level (medical, dental, allied health, biomedical and other students), who are also welcome to register.
- Applicants to specialist training programs in pathology, surgery, physicians training, radiology, general practice, emergency medicine, public health, health administration and oral medicine / surgery. Attaining a pass certificate on the BPS exam is a large bonus for their applications.
- Candidates preparing for the BPT (Basic Physicians Exam), GSSE (General Surgical Sciences Exam) or similar exams from other medical specialist training colleges with a basic pathology component, as the question content and style share great overlap with the BPS exam.
- International medical graduates (IMG) wanting to refresh their knowledge in an Australian context and helps preparation for the Australian Medical Council (AMC) exams, which share overlap with the BPS exam as it is considered a benchmark exam by the AMC.
- Understand key and highly examinable concepts in basic pathological sciences.
- Utilise evidence-based high yield exam techniques for the BPS exam and other similar exams.
- Explain key basic pathological science topics in an Australia clinical and laboratory context.
4th and 5th March 2023 (Sat & Sun), 9 am - 5:00 pm both days.
Morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea catered for those attending the face-to-face event. Please contact course coordinators for special dietary requirements.
Western Edge Biosciences - Building 125
University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3052
The event will take place in a COVIDSafe way, in accord with government restrictions and guidelines. If you are unable to attend in person, you will have access to live streaming of the whole event over the 2 days, including access to the mock exams.
Key topics from all chapters of the RCPA BPS exam syllabus and the RCPA recommended resources (including Robbins and Cotran Pathological Basis of Disease).
Over two days of intense learning, you will receive face-to-face and online live lectures on key BPS concepts and high yield exam topics, engage in question review and practice exam techniques for the BPS and similar exams, practice mock exam sets under real exam conditions with feedback, and have opportunities to network with other exam candidates and also members of the RCPA.
- Assoc Prof Kais Kasem
4 - 5 March 2023
Health Professionals (face to face): $450 (inc GST)
Health Professionals (online): $400 (inc GST)
Medical students (face to face): $200 (inc GST)
Medical students (online): $150 (inc GST)
There are no set entry requirements for this course.