Bachelor of Fine Arts (Acting)
Important! Please make sure you have read the How to Apply information for this course prior to reading the audition requirements below.
2024 Start Year Intake
Audition dates to be announced in August 2023.
Please note, that applicants who wish to apply for both the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Theatre) and the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Acting), must submit a separate application for each course. You will also be required to audition for both courses.
Successful applicants will not be able to transfer between courses.
All applicants must prepare and submit:
- an artistic Personal Statement
- three memorised contrasting monologues with each piece being approximately 2- 3 minutes in length.
- 16 bars of any song to be sung a cappella.
The monologues and song must be recorded in one take without edits.
Please consult the Acting Audition Monologue Booklet [PDF] for detailed audition guidelines.
Please also see Recorded Audition Tips for helpful advice on how to film your monologues.
Shortlisted applicants from the recorded audition submissions will be invited to attend a callback audition. Callback auditions will be conducted at the Southbank campus, and online via Zoom Web Conferencing for those unable to attend on campus.
Please note, applicants will not be advantaged, nor disadvantaged, in selection by attending either an on-campus or an online callback audition.
Shortlisted applicants should prepare to:
- perform one/all of their chosen monologues
- collaborate with others
- respond to direction.
Further information will be given to each candidate invited to a callback audition.
How will I be assessed?
Your audition will be assessed against the following criteria by the selection panel:
- physical, vocal, and creative ability
- performance presence (overall coordination, poise, focus)
- embodiment of text and character
- emotional and imaginative connection made with the text
- interpretation and performance of a song
In the callback audition, shortlisted applicants will be assessed on their ability to:
- demonstrate vocal ability and potential for development
- demonstrate physical and kinaesthetic awareness, and show potential for development
- listen and respond to direction imaginatively
- work in a collaborative manner, with flexibility and openness
Please note that all applicants will be ranked based on the above criteria, up to the capacity of places within the course