Bachelor of Fine Arts (Screenwriting)
Important! Please make sure you have read the How to Apply information for this course prior to reading the interview requirements below.
2023 Start Year Intake
Interviews will take place from Monday 21 to Friday 25 November 2022.
Shortlisted applicants must be prepared to:
- Discuss in detail two original film or television ideas that may be developed during your time at VCA.
The interview will run for approximately 30 minutes and will be conducted online via Zoom Web Conferencing. Due to time restrictions, the panel will not read scripts or writing samples during or after the interview.
How will I be assessed?
In order to be invited for an interview, all applicants must submit a selection test response.
The selection test comprises of one component:
- WRITTEN TEST
Applicants are given three short prompts to choose from and must respond with a story of no longer than 800-words. The story must be the original creation of the applicant.
The story should be written in prose rather than screenplay formatting.
The Written Test will be assessed against the following criteria:
- evidence of written storytelling ability;
- evidence of an engaging story being told;
- evidence of a coherent point of view; and
- creative use of the chosen prompt.
In the interview, shortlisted applicants are expected to:
- PITCH TWO IDEAS FOR SHORT FILMS
Applicants will be asked to verbally pitch two ideas which they believe will make engaging short films. The pitches should tell a story with a beginning, middle and an engaging resolution. The panel will critically engage in these ideas in discussion with the applicant during immediate feedback.
- DISCUSS WITH THE INTERVIEWING PANEL
The final part of the interview is a less formalised discussion around: why the applicant would like to attend the VCA; and their creative influences in the filmmaking and storytelling world.
The Interviewees will be assessed against the following criteria by the selection panel:
- Is the applicant able to critically engage during feedback?
- Does the applicant have a genuine interest in producing screen-based storytelling?
- Are the applicant's stories original, specific and engaging?
- Is the applicant’s communication clear and confident?
- Does the applicant exhibit a collaborative spirit?
Conditions of Enrolment
Successful applicants must meet the following conditions before commencing the course:
Terms and Conditions
As part of your supplementary application submission, you will be required to read and accept the Terms and Conditions on which the offer of a place is made.