Master of Creative Arts Therapy
2021 Start Year Intake
Interviews will take place Wednesday 11 - Friday 13 November 2020
Video of Artistic Practice
Evidence of your ability in your art form of dance movement or drama is required as part of your application. You can choose between two options:
1. Prepare and submit a brief video recording of yourself (no more than three minutes) in which you use improvised movement (dance movement) or improved performance (drama) to introduce yourself. This is an opportunity to demonstrate your capacity to utilise creative and embodied processes.
2. Provide a video (up to ten minutes) of documentation of yourself in one or more performances. This is an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and experience as a dancer or actor.
Video materials are required to be uploaded via the supplementary application form.
Interviews will run for approximately 20 minutes and will be held online following a selection process. You will be notified of how to book into an interview, approximately 1 week after applications close.
In the selection process of prospective students, the CAMTRU staff are concerned particularly with the following questions:
- Does the applicant have a sincere interest in and commitment to work as a creative arts therapist (either dance movement or drama) and the specific training that this course provides?
- Does the applicant have sufficient prior experience and ongoing engagement in self-expression through various drama and dance movement forms?
- Does the applicant meet the educational requirements and show the capacity to meet the academic demands of this course?
- Does the applicant have work or volunteer experience in a related human service role, which might include the use of creative arts in community settings, or other human service-related work?
Dance Movement Therapy Specialisation
At the interview, you will be asked to discuss your video submission, your interest in the study of dance movement therapy, your understanding of the profession and of literature, and any relevant experience you bring.
You should also research information on dance movement therapy. This might include websites such as:
- DTAA (Dance Movement Therapy Association of Australasia)
- American Dance Therapy Association
- European Association for Dance Movement Therapy
- Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy UK (ADMP UK).
The DTAA has a series of books, Dance Therapy Collections 1-4 that provides a good overview of the practice of DMT in Australasia.
Drama Therapy Specialisation
At the interview, you will be asked to reflect your video submission and thoughts and feelings around becoming a therapist. You will be asked to discuss your interest in the study of drama therapy, your understanding of the profession and of literature, and any relevant experience. You should also research information on drama therapy from prominent sites, such as:
- World Alliance of Drama Therapy
- North American Drama Therapy Association
- British Association of Drama Therapy
- The European Federation of Drama Therapy.
For those with constraints on when they can be interviewed, indicate your availability in the supplementary component of your applicationand we will endeavour to accommodate your preferences.