Master of Creative Arts Therapy
2021 Start Year Intake – interview dates will be advertised mid-year 2020.
In the selection process of prospective students, the CAMTRU staff are concerned particularly with the following questions:
- Does the applicant have a sincere interest in and commitment to work as a creative arts therapist (either dance movement or drama) and the specific training that this course provides?
- Does the applicant have sufficient prior experience and ongoing engagement in self-expression through various drama and dance movement forms?
- Does the applicant meet the educational requirements and show capacity to meet the academic demands of this course?
- Does the applicant have work or volunteer experience in a related human service role, which might include use of creative arts in community settings, or other human service-related work.
Dance Movement Therapy Specialisation
If attending online, you will need to submit a 3-5-minute video clip, YouTube or weblink of you dancing. It can be any style of dance and may be choreographed by you or anyone else, or a pre-existing dance.
At the interview, you will be asked to discuss your interest in the study of dance movement therapy, your understanding of the profession and of literature, and any relevant experience.
You should also research information on dance movement therapy. This might include through websites such as:
- DTAA (Dance Movement Therapy Association of Australasia)
- American Dance Therapy Association
- European Association for Dance Movement Therapy
- Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy UK (ADMP UK)
The DTAA has a series of books, Dance Therapy Collections 1-4 that provide a good overview of the practice of DMT in Australasia.
Drama Therapy Specialisation
At the interview you will be asked to reflect on the brief video recording you were asked to submit in your portfolio see Portfolio of Artistic Practice“ please prepare and submit a brief video recording of yourself (1-3 minutes) in which you use improvisation to introduce yourself. This is an opportunity to explore your thoughts and feelings around becoming a therapist in a playful and embodied way”.
In addition, you will be asked to discuss your interest in the study of drama therapy, your understanding of the profession and of literature, and any relevant experience. You should also research information on drama therapy from prominent sites, such as:
- World Alliance of Drama Therapy
- North American Drama Therapy Association
- British Association of Drama Therapy
- The European Federation of Drama Therapy
Can't attend the interview or are interstate or international?
For interstate or overseas applicants or those with constraints on when they can be interviewed, indicate your availability in the SlideRoom component of your application and we will endeavor to accommodate your preferences.
If you would like to transfer to another Faculty of Fine Arts and Music course, you need to re-apply and ensure you meet that course’s entry requirements in order to be selected.
You can find these requirements on every course page.