Fees and payments

Graduate research

Most of our degrees offer domestic graduate researchers Australian Government Research Training Program Fee-offset scholarships, which provides a full tuition fee remission. Tuition fees may apply to some courses. There's also a Student Services and Amenities Fee plus additional expenses you'll need to consider, including accommodation and living costs.

Tuition fees

Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) place

To receive an RTP Fee-offset scholarship you need to be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, permanent humanitarian visa holder or New Zealand citizen and accepted into the Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Philosophy or Research doctorate or Masters by research.

If accepted, you are exempt from paying tuition fees for your course. This exemption is valid for up to four years if you're enrolled in a doctoral program and up to two years if you're enrolled in a masters degree.

If you enrol in additional subjects or courses during your enrolment, you may incur an additional cost, such as a student contribution if it's a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), or tuition fees if it's an Australian fee-paying place.

Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)

Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) tuition fees are subsidised by the Australian Government. You pay a student contribution amount determined each year by the Australian Government and the subjects you enrol in, not the overall course you're studying.

To calculate your fee contribution amounts, you'll need to know the credit points for each subject you're studying, and the total number of credit points needed to complete the course.

To find out annual CSP student contribution amounts, see student contribution amounts

How will the Australian Government’s Job-ready Graduates Package affect my Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) fees?

On 19 October 2020 the Australian Parliament passed the Higher Education Support Amendment (Job-Ready Graduates and Supporting Regional and Remote Students) Bill 2020.

One of the changes in this Bill will affect student contribution amounts for Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).

Students commencing a course of study for the first time

From 1 January 2021, all students who are commencing a course of study on a Commonwealth Supported Place will pay the new student contribution amounts.

Students continuing in a course of study on a CSP in 2021

If you currently hold a Commonwealth Supported Place and are continuing in a course of study (commenced prior to 1 January 2021), from 2021 your student contribution amount will either remain the same as it would have been prior to these changes or will be lower, depending on your area of study. This means:

  • If you are a continuing student studying units that will have a lower student contribution amount under the new arrangements you will pay the new lower student contribution amount.
  • If you are a continuing student studying units in disciplines with increased student contribution amounts, you will continue paying the same amount as you would have, had these changes not been implemented (with existing rates being indexed by CPI each year).

The University is working through the implications of the legislation.

More information

Australian fee place

If you’re enrolling in an Australian fee place, tuition fees are calculated based on your course and study load per semester.

It's also important you read and understand the University's current tuition fee terms and conditions before accepting your offer and enrolling in a degree.

Student Services and Amenities Fee

You'll also need to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) that goes towards providing you with essential services and support when you study. The amount you're charged will depend on whether you're a full-time or part-time student.

If your study less than 75% of the normal full-time study load, you'll be charged as a part-time student. If this changes to a full-time load your SSAF charge will be recalculated.

See Student Services and Amenities Fee

Other expenses

You also need to factor in additional expenses associated with your course, including the cost of textbooks. There will also be additional costs living in Melbourne, including accommodation, food, weekly bills, transport, social activities and club memberships.

For help budgeting for study at Melbourne, see Financial aid.


Tuition Fees

If you're eligible for an Australian Government Research Training Program place, your tuition fees are covered by the Australian Government.

If you're doing additional subjects on a Commonwealth Supported Place, you can pay your course fees up front when you enrol or defer part or all payment through FEE-HELP, a loan scheme that helps eligible students pay all or part of their tuition fees.

Please note: The Higher Education Support Legislation Amendment (Student Loan Sustainability) Bill recently passed in parliament. This will result in a loan limit for FEE-HELP loans as well as lower income thresholds for loan repayments.

Find out about FEE-HELP


You can also pay your Student Services and Amenities Fee up front.

You can pay from your student account or if you're eligible you can defer payment of the SSAF by applying for SA-HELP assistance.*

Find out about SA-HELP

*Graduate researchers who submit their theses on or before 31 March (early completers) will be exempted for SSAF liability for that academic year. Similarly, candidates who commence their research after 1 October (late commencers) will be exempted.

Up-front payments

If you want to pay any fees up front, you can pay online or over the phone using BPAY®. To find out how, login to your student account, view your Statement of Liability and follow the instruction on how to pay.

See Students - Pay my fees

Unpaid fees and refunds

If your fees remain unpaid, your enrolment will be cancelled and you'll need to reapply for the course. You'll remain liable for any outstanding debt. There are some circumstances you may be able to request a refund.

To find out what these are, see Section 3: Refund policy - Terms and conditions.

Also read our student loans, fees and charges policy

Funding your studies

There are financial loans, scholarships and bursaries that can help you pay your student fees and other living expenses.

Financial aid

To help with the cost of living while you study, you may be eligible for Australian Government financial aid, including Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy. To find out how these could help your situation, visit the DHS – Centrelink payments and services.

Our financial services can also give you advice on scholarships, grants and how to budget for living and studying at Melbourne.

See Financial aid

Tax deduction on your fees

If your course is closely related to your current employment, you may be able to claim a tax deduction for the cost of your tuition fees.

To find out how to claim this, talk to your accountant or the Australian Taxation Office.

Scholarships and bursaries

We also offer a range scholarships and bursaries to help with tuition and living costs while you're at Melbourne.

Some scholarships cover part or all of your course fees. Others are one-off grants to help with the cost of living while you study. Faculties and Graduate Schools also offer a number of other scholarships and bursaries.

See Melbourne Scholarships

You can also find out more about research scholarships and funding opportunities on our Research website.

Financial aid and support

Our financial services can also give you advice on scholarships, grants and how to budget for living and studying in Australia.

See Financial aid

Visit our Research website

If you need more information on research funding, applications, faculties, industry connections and more, check out our University of Melbourne Research website.

Find out more