Doctor of Philosophy - Law
- CRICOS Code: 056956G
Melbourne Law School aims to admit outstanding graduates from a wide variety of countries and to provide them with a world class experience in undertaking a graduate research degree.
Graduate research degree places at Melbourne Law School are very competitive and only approximately 15 applicants are accepted each year.
PhD-Law applicants are not required to find a supervisor prior to submitting an application. As part of the application process, Melbourne Law School assesses the application, research proposal, feasibility of the project, and availability of supervisors. However, applicants may wish to discuss their research interests with a potential supervisor prior to submitting an application. The MLS Staff Research Expertise web page may assist in this.
All applications for graduate research at Melbourne Law School must comply with the University's Graduate Research Degrees Entry Requirements including English language requirements. In addition, selection will be based on factors including:
- Academic record (particularly tertiary grades and class ranking)
- Relevant research experience (e.g. dissertation) and professional experience
- Relevant scholarly publications, if any
- Academic references
- Development of an original research proposal reflecting knowledge and understanding of the relevant field and providing a feasible framework for the thesis
- Availability and support of appropriate supervisors
- Capacity to complete the degree, including residency requirements and hours available to devote to the degree
- Significance and relevance of the graduate research study proposed in relation to the overall career goals or aspirations of the applicant.
Selection Round Deadlines
Applications will be assessed in four rounds for entry into the 2022 program. Complete applications must be received by the following deadlines for consideration in that round.
- Round 1: 26 February 2021
- Round 2: 16 April 2021
- Round 3: 14 August 2021
- Round 4: 15 October 2021
The referees you nominate in your application will be contacted directly by the University of Melbourne only upon submission of your application. Please submit your application at least 2 weeks prior to an admission round deadline to ensure that you can provide any additional documentation requested by the University and to permit your referees to submit their reports as soon as possible prior to the closing date. Any delay in the referee report submission by your referees will delay the application assessment process.
In order to apply, you will need to submit to the University of Melbourne:
Research Proposal for Melbourne Law School
To receive the Research Proposal form, please submit an enquiry by clicking on the appropriate link below.
University of Melbourne Application Form
Please complete the Research Proposal form and attach it to the University of Melbourne Application Form.
(Course code: DR-PHILLAW)
We will endeavour to advise you of the outcome of your application eight to twelve weeks after the round deadline by which your completed application has been received.
Applicants may apply for selection in one round only each calendar year. Applicants are encouraged to apply after they have all relevant material and information, including grades from recent studies and the outcome of any submissions of publications or proposals to journals or publishers.
Office for Research
Melbourne Law School
The University of Melbourne
Phone: +61 3 8344 8946
Before you apply
- Complete Melbourne Law School Research Proposal