Master of Teaching (Early Childhood and Primary)
- CRICOS Code: 107556H
Prepares you to teach ages birth to 12 years in early childhood and primary school settings.
Why study at Melbourne?
- Readiness to teach. Be confident in classrooms and education settings by integrating the latest theory with practice so you can work with learners of all abilities and evaluate, identify and support their individual learning needs as they evolve over time.
- Practical experience and unparalleled support. Become an active member of a school or early childhood community from your first semester and be supported by a Mentor Teacher and Clinical Specialist every step of the way.
- Holistic approach to teaching. As well as creating high impact learning environments, gain other important skills such as establishing safe environments and promoting positive behaviours to nurture wellbeing for yourself and your students, and encourage future generations to adopt an ecological mindset through sustainable practices.
- Indigenous perspectives. Build a greater understanding of Indigenous worldviews, in particular Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ways of knowing and being so you are empowered with inclusive learning activities for Australia’s next generation citizens.
- Influence and shape educational communities. Build capabilities to confidently take on leadership positions as you embark on your career.
- High employability. 96 per cent of our graduates gain employment within four months of graduating.*
Who is the program for?
Those seeking dual registration with the:
- Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) to teach specialised early years learning and development
- Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) to teach across all primary years as a generalist teacher, with specialisations in literacy and mathematics
Or to pursue a career in:
- children’s services coordination
- early child research
- policy development
- quality regulation
- assessment or positions involving early intervention for children with special needs
Students who have completed a Bachelor degree at the University of Melbourne have access to a Guaranteed Entry early admission pathway into the Master of Teaching. This includes early admission into the Master of Teaching and a Commonwealth Supported Place (for Domestic students only). If you’re a year 12 student, you can secure your place in the Master of Teaching program with one of our new Graduate Degree Packages, comprising both a Bachelor’s and Master’s qualification.
*Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching Graduate Outcomes Survey 2018-2020