Applicants applying for the Start Year 2022 intake are able to either:
- Submit a video-recorded audition via the supplementary application form no later than Monday 22 November 2021.
- Attend a live, face-to-face audition at the Southbank campus on Friday 26 November 2021. Applicants wanting to audition live must submit their supplementary application form no later than Sunday 31 October 2021.
Preparing your recorded audition
- Applicants should prepare three pieces of music (25-30 minutes in total) demonstrating their skill on the instrument they wish to study.
- Select each piece from the Western Art Music repertoire (except for electric guitar and bass).
- Pieces should be of contrasting style, period, and composer (e.g. works from the Baroque, Romantic and 20th century repertoires).
- Your full audition must be video recorded in a single unedited take and uploaded as one file. Pauses between pieces or movements is expected.
- Instrumentalists and singers should perform at least part of the program with an accompanist, where appropriate.
- Classical piano, classical guitar, or percussion would normally audition unaccompanied.
- Piano applicants are expected to perform repertoire from memory where it would be standard concert practice to do so.
- Percussion applicants should prepare the following. Duration of pieces can vary, please choose repertoire or studies/etudes that best showcase your skill.
- One piece for snare drum.
- One piece for timpani.
- One piece for 2-mallet keyboard.
- A demonstration of 4-mallet keyboard performance (e.g. a performance, or short excerpt from, a 4-mallet piece).
We understand that in current circumstances, arranging a live accompanist and/or accessing certain recording equipment may be difficult. For applicants requiring accompaniment, you may organise an accompanist to provide backing tracks for your repertoire. Once you have received your backing tracks from an accompanist, you can use them to rehearse and then record your audition.
List of approved Conservatorium accompanists
It is not an expectation that you access or purchase additional recording equipment beyond a basic smartphone, iPad, or laptop/desktop device. For smartphones, many recent models already have very good microphones built-in.
Here are some tips from our University of Melbourne Learning Environments team on recording a video using your smartphone.
In some instances, the Selection Committee may require a second audition or discussion to take place.
Applicants will be charged a non-refundable application fee payable via the supplementary application.
Please note that some domestic applicants may be eligible for a waiver of the supplementary application fee if you are a Health Care Cardholder or have special circumstances.
For persons who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, the supplementary application fee will be waived. Please contact the Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development for assistance.
If you believe you are eligible for a waiver of the supplementary application fee, please contact the faculty via the Enquire Now button (located on the How to Apply page) prior to submitting your supplementary application form, and include a scanned copy of the relevant documentation as evidence of your eligibility.