Bachelor of Biomedicine (Degree with Honours)
- CRICOS code: 073113J
How to apply
Applications are open to:
- Internal applicants who have successfully completed or are about to complete the Bachelor of Biomedicine or the Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne; and
- External applicants who have successfully completed or are about to complete an equivalent undergraduate degree
'Discover Honours in Biomedical and Health Sciences' Information Session (2023 Intake)
Missed the session? Watch the recording and download the slides.
Step 1: Look for Projects and Contact Potential Supervisor(s)
You MUST make contact with potential supervisors either before or soon after submitting an online course application and reach at least a verbal agreement. You can look for projects and supervisors by using the following resources:
- Honours Project Database (Sonia)
- Project booklets published by departments
- Your lecturers if you are a University of Melbourne undergraduate student
- Information sessions/open days
- Find an Expert
- Affiliated medical research institute's website
Step 2: Submit An Online Application
- Apply online and log in with your University of Melbourne credential if you are a current or previous University of Melbourne student/applicant, or select 'apply as a new student' if you are a new applicant.
- Enter the course code 'BH-BMED' or 'BH-SCI', or course name 'Bachelor of Biomedicine (Degree with Honours)' or 'Bachelor of Science (Degree with Honours) to search for the course you want to apply for.
- Select ‘MDHS Specialisations’ as the discipline of study in the online application form. Note that part-time study is not available.
- Provide copies of official transcript(s) for your undergraduate degrees, advanced standing/credit transfer granted from exchange or study abroad or cross institutional studies undertaken outside the University of Melbourne.
Step 3: Submit Project Preferences in Sonia
Start Year Intake
For Round 1 applicants, once you have submitted an online course application and met the minimum entry requirements, you will receive an email within 3 working days with your personal login to access the Honours Project Preference System – Sonia. Please follow the instructions to set up your login and submit your project preferences.
If you have submitted an application for Round 2, you will be contacted in early January about project preference submission in Sonia.
You may select up to 4 project preferences in Round 1 or 3 project preferences in Round 2. You MUST contact the relevant supervisor(s) and reach an agreement before selecting their projects. You can log into Sonia to change your preferences any time by the preference submission closing dates.
Mid Year Intake
Once you have submitted an online course application and met the minimum entry requirements, you will receive an email within 3 working days with your personal login to access the Honours Project Preference System – Sonia. Please follow the instructions to set up your login and submit your project preferences. Please note that application assessment will start in March/April. You will not hear from us or receive your Sonia login until April.
You may select up to 3 project preferences. You MUST contact the relevant supervisor(s) and reach at least an informal agreement before selecting their projects. You can log into Sonia to change your preferences any time by the preference submission closing dates.
Step 4: Respond to Your Offer
Start Year Intake Round 1 offers will be issued around mid-December. Mid-Year Intake offers will be issued around mid-July. You must respond to your offer by the Offer Lapse Date noted in your offer letter.
If you have a change of mind about your offer, please DO NOT proceed ahead with accepting the offer. You MUST notify the Honours Admissions Team via firstname.lastname@example.org as early as possible.
Students wishing to undertake Honours in BioSciences, Human Nutrition or Veterinary Bioscience must contact the relevant departments or schools directly for guidance on their Honours application procedures. The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences does not manage Honours applications for these specialisations.
Psychology Honours applicants: please visit the Fourth Year Psychology website for detailed application process. The process and key dates here do not apply to you. Mid-year intake is not available.